Feels like something is in my EYE! And other issues...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Feels like something is in my EYE! And other issues...

Postby ltess » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:20 am

I had Custom Vue Wavefront LAISK on 2 weeks ago tomorrw. My contact rx was -5.75 right eye and -5.25 left eye with 7mm pupils. I am experiencing halos, starbursts, glare, some blur off and on, and eye dryness. I have seen the doctor two times since the surgery. I was told that the dryness is getting better which I can tell. But the problem I am experiencing now is that my right eye feels like there is something in it!! The best way to describe it is the top of my eye feels like there is an eyelash under the lid when I blink. Yesterday I noticed that it feels like there is something in the corner of my eye that goes in towark the color of my eye. The feeling when I blink is driving me CRAZY! Strange thing is that from day one the right eye has not felt as well as the left one. I remember that when I would put eye drops in my right eye from day one and I would blink that something was sticking almost like the feeling of having water in your eye with a contact in it. The doctor says the flap is fine so what could it be??

I am also very frustrated with the way lights look "flat" or "fuzzy" if that makes sense. Most of the time my eyes feel like I have slept in my contacts which is an awful feeling. Nothing is crisp and sharp. Also the starbursts and halos are so bad at night I am afraid to drive. I have experienced depression and regrets over the past 2 weeks trying to be optimistic that my eyes will be fine. I am seeing 20/20 which is amazing considering my rx and I thank God for that but the other side effects are horrible.

Can someone please help?
ltess

Re: Feels like something is in my EYE! And other issues...

Postby techboomie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:14 am

I am having the same problem. The left eye feels okay but the right eye feels like there is someting stuck there. It is irratating. I tried drops and looked if there was a eyelash there but nothing. I am so scared. I had the surgery last week and I don't want feel like this for this for the rest of my life. Please help!
techboomie

Postby ltess » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:22 am

I know I am beginning to wonder if it is some kind of scar tissue or something. I pray not! Mine comes and goes in my right I very strange. When the eyelash feeling is not there it feels like something is at the top of my eye when I blink almost like a ridge I am closing my eye over. Anyone ever have this and it go away???
ltess

Postby americais1984 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:18 am

Let me preface my reply with I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL IN ANY CAPACITY!!!!

However, I suspect what you are feeling is either infection or healing (I guess that's probably not much of a relief, but if you are taking your antibiotic drops, and seeing your ophthalmologist you should be fine). Haven't you ever had a cut that felt itchy as it was healing (or infected) before? Same thing - just on your super sensitive eye. If your eye is not red or inflamed seeming I'd wager that you are just healing. Don't be afraid to call and ask your doctor!!!! Probably safer than asking the internet (for instance I'm an uneducated 25 yr old currently unemployed homeless feller who was almost a high school drop out, living with his sister - so don't take my advice as professional, mmkay? Ask your doc - then share what he said with us!)
americais1984

Postby techboomie » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:05 pm

I did ask the eye doctor she said she didn't see anything wrong with it which is what concerns me since I don't want it to be permanent. If I knew this was going to happen I would never had done LASIK
techboomie

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:07 pm

A foreign body sensation after Lasik is not common, but it is a known anomaly. It is very, very rare for it to be permanent.

Your eye has just had microsurgery and is healing. The nerves that run throughout the cornea have been severed and lasered. You can expect a few of those nerves are going to be angry. It is possible that the epithelium is disrupted, which often causes the feeling you describe and may not show up upon examination. Fortunately, corneal epithelial cells are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body. Even then, it may take 3-6 weeks for everything to settle down.

It is also possible that the medications required after Lasik are causing an allergic reaction that translates into a foreign body sensation. Don't stop your meds, but discuss with your doctor if a change may be appropriate.

The most common reason for this kind of discomfort is Lasik induced temporary dry eye. It can affect one eye more than the other and can present as a foreign body sensation. Check our article on Lasik dry eye treatments.

Lasik applies the laser energy under a flap of corneal tissue to "fool" the eye into not knowing it has had surgery and thereby reduce these kinds of sensations. It may be that your eye is not so easily fooled.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ltess » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:38 am

Thank you for your reply. Will the disruption of the epithelium get better? If this is what is causing the feeling in my eye?
ltess

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:18 pm

Success in healing of the epithelium depends upon the cause and treatment. If the cause is dry eye and the dry eye is successfully treated and managed, then you have the necessary environment for healing. What is needed is the cause to be diagnosed and the necessary treatment prescribed, however the cause may simply be your individual healing response and what is required is more time for healing.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It