Striae

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Striae

Postby neweyes101 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:26 pm

Hi,

I underwent Lasik 3 weeks ago and have been happy with the results. My only concern is there are micostriae present in my left eye (the right flap is completely smooth) At this stage, the vision out of my left eye is the same as the right, and I have not picked up any noticeable difference (the left was rather blurry for the first two and a half weeks post the surgery, but has since come right, and the vision out of this eye is as clear and sharp as the right) From the research I have done, it is recommended that no surgery be done to correct the striae if there is no visual disturbance or loss of visual acuity and that they will rectify themselves after a few weeks/months. I have opted to leave the striae on the left eye. Is this a wise move?

Thanks
neweyes101

Re: Striae

Postby davidmartinomalley » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:13 pm

I had surgery to correct my striae, but they were interfering with my vision (severely, too). From what I read, I expected my surgeon to let them fix over time, but she said they needed fixing because they were affecting my vision.

I'd suggest a non-biased second opinion, at very least, but from everything I've read, leaving them alone does seem to be the best course of action. The surgery to correct them is itself unpleasant - recovery time is about two weeks. Don't get me wrong though, it's worth it if there's a severe problem.

Best of luck
davidmartinomalley

Postby batista » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:31 pm

Striae are irregular areas of skin that look like bands, stripes, or lines. Striae are seen when a person grows or gains weight rapidly or has certain diseases or conditions.

Striae are commonly called stretch marks.

nose right
batista

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:25 pm

neweyes101 wrote:I have opted to leave the striae on the left eye. Is this a wise move?

Yes. The striae you have are wrinkles within the Bowman's layer of the cornea and is commonly called microstriae. If they do not interfere with your quality of vision, there is no reason to have additional surgery. They are not likely to become worse. They are likely to dissipate with time and healing. Please read our article about Lasik and striae for more details.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It