110um Lasik Flap Question for Glenn

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

110um Lasik Flap Question for Glenn

Postby bjd2k1 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey Glenn,

I was reading my postop report and noticed that the intralase flap thickness was 110um.... I have read reports that this is called "SBK Lasik" for sub bowman's layer keratomeliusis... is this what I had, and is this why I am not experiencing much dry-eye at all even at 1 week postop?
bjd2k1

Re: 110um Lasik Flap Question for Glenn

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:48 pm

The Bowman's Layer is located just above the 100 micron (um) thickness of the cornea. For a while, the manufacturer of a femtosecond laser called Lasik with a thin flap "Sub-Bowman's Keratomileusis ", or SBK. The industry took this as a blatant attempt by a manufacturer to create a new surgery that could be performed only with their equipment – at that time there was only one femtosecond laser approved for use in the US. There was a surprisingly strong backlash.

Factually, both the femtosecond and mechanical microkeratomes are able to achieve a ~100um thick flap, which is considered thin. Flaps have traditionally been in the 160um to 130um range.

After all the feathers were ruffled, the term "Thin Flap Lasik" took hold, but even that has become passé. It's just Lasik.

There has been for some time a theory that the less cornea that is disturbed by flap incision or laser, the lower the probability of dry eye problems. Studies have been inconclusive, but most surgeons aim toward a thinner flap "just in case".

It may be that your individual experience with Lasik without dry eye problems is related to a thin Lasik flap, but according to the USAEyes Competence Opinion Relative to Expectation (CORE) patient survey, 98% of reporting patients had no complications of any kind or issues that are seldom problematic .
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It