Just had Lasek bandage contact lenses removed, vision blurry

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just had Lasek bandage contact lenses removed, vision blurry

Postby Matt_2 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Hey I had Lasek a week ago. I have just had my week check up and with the bandage contact lenses in I could read the 20/20 line. I had my bandage contact lenses removed. Vision is realy blurry now, is this ususaly and how long does this last before it improves. . Thanks for any advice on this.
Matt_2

Re: Just had Lasek bandage contact lenses removed, vision blurry

Postby Indept » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:10 am

About a day or so, give it time.
Indept

Postby Matt_2 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:03 am

Ok thank you, I was just worryied this wasn'tr normal. It seems to be improving again. Do you no wy it goes blurry once the lenses are removed?
Matt_2

Postby Indept » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Just my opinion, but I think it's due to the contact sticking to the new epithelium (sp?)
Last edited by Indept on Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indept

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:50 pm

The epithelium is the outermost layer of corneal cells. They are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body, but do require some time to cover the cornea, thicken, and smooth. With PRK, the epithelial cells are removed and new cells have a clear treatment area. With LASEK, the epithelial cells are fatally wounded with an alcohol solution, moved aside, and then moved back over the treatment area. With both PRK and LASEK a contact lens is used as a bandage to protect the cornea while the epithelium heals.

Because PRK removes the epithelium, the new cells just cover the area, thicken, and smooth. A process that provides "functional fuzzy" vision for a few days with vision clarity building over the following weeks. Since LASEK does not remove the epithelium, but these cells are fatally wounded during the LASEK process, the old epithelial cells must die and be flushed away as the new cells are replacing them. The LASEK healing process can present as pretty good vision in the early days, vision that goes downhill after a week or so, and then vision that starts to clear. PRK is climbing straight up a mountain while LASEK is a bit of a roller coaster ride.

What you describe appears to be normal, however be sure that you report your symptoms and changes to your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Matt_2 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Ok thanks, My vision was ok after surgery till day three. Then the cells healed at the centre of the cornea and went blurry for a day. Then came back realy good. Then on day 7 when the bandage contact lense was removed it went immediatly very blurry. It got abit better then next day still bery bluirry though, and has stayed that way for the last 4 days. Why would the removal of the bandage lense cause it to go very blurry start away? Thanks for any more help on this. I am seeing my surgoen again on friday I will take it up with him then. Thanks again
Matt_2

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Matt_2 wrote:Why would the removal of the bandage lense cause it to go very blurry start away?

The bandage contact lens provides a smooth surface for the cells. This helps vision quality. Also, it is possible some of the cells were disrupted when the contact was removed. Either way, what you describe sounds very normal for LASEK. Please let us know what your doctor says on Friday.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Matt_2 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:13 am

Thanks thats cleared it up alot for me. Yes I will report back on friday. Thanks again.
Matt_2

Postby Matt_2 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 pm

Hey I had sufferd abit from dry eyes which was stopping the cells re healing. My surgoen fitted plugd to stop my tears / drops draining away. I just wanted to ask a few things about my vision. Firstly when I firts wake up or if I every have a lay down. When I open my eyes vision is realy sharp it stays this sharp for about 15 mins then goes abit worse. Why would this be? or so when I put the drops in it goes realy sharp is this because the drops give me a smooth surface on my cornea for abit? Thanks for any info.
Matt_2

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:35 pm

Your eyes are still healing. The meds you take can affect clarity. The eye drops may be smoothing the surface and improving the quality of vision. All that you describe sounds like normal healing.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Indept » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:02 pm

Matt_2

Keep your eyes well hydrated. I put wetting drops in each hour and I have very good results now at just over 2 months post op. You will also have a lot of changing until you are off the steroid drops. I varied a lot until I went off the steroids @ 1 month. Once I stopped, my vision started to stabilize and now is very consistent. Don't let every little step backwards bother you as things change a lot the first couple of months. Good luck
Indept

Postby Matt_2 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:15 pm

Thanks for the advice. What eye drops are you using , or would you recomend. Do I need preservation free ones? Thanks for any help.
Matt_2

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:41 pm

Preservative free only, while you are healing Generally, preservative free is better even if you are past the healing period
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Matt_2 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Hey I'm 6 weeks post lasek tomorro. I am putting drops in alot my eyes are still strugglin haven't realy improved. I don't understand whats happend or gone wrong as after the first week my vision was realy good 20/20 and my doc said I'll get realy crisp vision as it will carry on getting better. Am seeing my doc tomorro
Matt_2

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 05, 2011 10:48 pm

Matt_2 wrote:I don't understand whats happend or gone wrong as after the first week my vision was realy good 20/20 and my doc said I'll get realy crisp vision as it will carry on getting better.

This is typical of the LASEK healing process. It is good, then okay, then worse, then okay, then good. Let us know what the doctor says.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Next

Return to Just Had It