Foggy, hazy vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Foggy, hazy vision

Postby Big Dunker » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Hello everybody.

I got a Lasik with AMO iLASIK Suite on Wednesday. This is waveguided Suite with a femtosecond laser.

I had a dioptre value of -1 and an astigmatism of - 0.5 an my left eye. Everything went well with this eye, I got a clear, crisp vision without any problems.
My right eye had -1.5 and an astigmatism of - 0.5, too. At the moment I'm unsatisfied with the result. My feeling is like somebody put a hazy, unclear lens on my eye, it isn't so clear and crisp as my left eye. It's like a fog on my eye, and all lights aren't that bright as I see it with my left eye. Is that a contrast reduction, will it gets better?
Also I see little Halos around objects. I can recognize a disbalance between the eyes. I'm confused about that. I think my vision is at the moment 20/20 but milky. But I have to say that my right eye wasn't the best at all, it didnt feel good as the left eye. I had an unsharp vision with that eye, but without a haze or something. At the moment I have a big hematoma in my right eye, more then left.

I'm worry about my foggy vision, I noticed it directly on the second day after surgery and I'm not sure wheter it's getting better or not. Is this normal due to healing process? Why is the result on my left eye so much better than right?

I have to be patient....

What would you say about this problem dear experts?

Best Regards
Big Dunker

Re: Foggy, hazy vision

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:56 am

You will need to be patient, but you also need to pay attention. Immediately report this symptom to your doctor. It may be the normal healing, but the hazy vision you report can also be a sign of a problem that can be fully resolved if diagnosed and treated early, but can be real trouble if ignored. Contact your surgeon straight away, and report back with the findings.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Big Dunker » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:18 am

Okay, thank you very much. I just call my doctor and he said it's a normal healthing process. He is going to look at my eye on the second of may. But I'm not sure whether it's true or not, just to calm me down. I got on the 2nd of may a check by himself. Do you think it's too long to wait and should I go to a local doctor right now? Best regards
Big Dunker

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:16 pm

If it gets worse, you will want to show up at your doctor's doorstep. If it stays the same or gets better, then your doctor is undoubtedly correct. Please let us know how the exam goes next week.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Big Dunker » Thu May 12, 2011 5:10 pm

Okay, here we go again.

I had an appointment with my doc last week.
My vision is at the moment:
Right eye: +0,25 sph 0 cyl
Left eye: 0 sph 0 cyl
And the intraocular pressure is fine. He said that there is no real cornea haze in the left and right eye, but a little bit around the flap. But that's normal. I'm a little bit farsighted at the moment, but the doc said that's not a problem at all. My vision is 150%, I guess it's 20/15 or not?

I'm not sure, whether I'm still looking foggy or not, but my right eye is still worser that the left. As I wrote, it's not as crispy, clear as the left eye although my values are great. But my brain interpolates it good, so I notice the difference between the eyes in an direct comparison.

I read about a side effect after Lasik called loss of contrast sensitivity. I'm not sure, but my symptoms could be the same. How can I recognize or measure that I have a contrast issue? Does the contrast issues only appears at night vision? As I wrote, I see brighter with my left eye than with my right eye. The same light I almost say "shine" in my left eye and in my right eye it's dim and not so birght as I want it. I'm not sure whether it is due to dry eyes, because my eyes don't feel dry at all.

My dark pupil size is left 6,75mm and right 7mm.
Does the (too large) pupil size only take effect on the night vision or on day vision too?
And I see a problem with the VISX STAR S4 that only has an optical zone about 6.5mm. I can notice a little bit more halos with my right eye, I guess it's due to the bigger pupil size.

I got a lot of questions, feel free to give me some answers, dear Glenn but the others of course too.

Best regards.
Big Dunker

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 12, 2011 6:14 pm

Big Dunker wrote:How can I recognize or measure that I have a contrast issue?

Contrast sensitivity is difficult for a patient to measure, however your doctor can test this and compare your results to preoperative results (if evaluated) and "normal" results to see if your contrast is limited. If there still is some haze at the flap then your contrast will be diminished.

Big Dunker wrote:Does the contrast issues only appears at night vision?

Loss of contrast sensitivity is more pronounced in low light environments because there is less light to create contrast between objects.

Big Dunker wrote:As I wrote, I see brighter with my left eye than with my right eye. The same light I almost say "shine" in my left eye and in my right eye it's dim and not so birght as I want it.

You are very slightly hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted) in your right eye. This will cause images to blurr. The doctor reported some haze at the flap. These are consistent with the symptoms you describe.

Big Dunker wrote:My dark pupil size is left 6,75mm and right 7mm.
Does the (too large) pupil size only take effect on the night vision or on day vision too?
And I see a problem with the VISX STAR S4 that only has an optical zone about 6.5mm. I can notice a little bit more halos with my right eye, I guess it's due to the bigger pupil size.

Your guess is probably wrong. The pupilometer commonly used to measure pupil size uses infared light in total darkness. In this environment pupils tend to measure about a full diopter larger than in low light where vision would be expected. You are hyperopic and your surgeon has reported haze at the flap in your left eye. Halos around light sources would be expected.

Remember, you are only a little more than two weeks out from surgery. Lasik is not always a "20 Minute Miracle", but is sometimes a process with limitations on vision quality during the healing period. Be patient. All you symptoms are consistent with healing and your surgeon, who has actually examine your eyes, is not reporting anything unusual.

Let us know how things go over the next few weeks.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Big Dunker » Sat May 14, 2011 1:22 pm

Thanks for the answer Glenn.

Okay, I'm very slightly hyperopic at the moment. And yes you are right, that cause images to blurr as far as I notice it.
Is it possible that my right eye will be regenerated to 0.00 sph? Or is this "precision landing" impossible? If this not gonna happen, is it even useful to go for an enhancement with +0,25 sph?

Best regards
Big Dunker

Postby LasikExpert » Sun May 15, 2011 4:16 am

Overcorrection into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision tends to regress. Your surgeon can controll this somewhat with medication (or lack thereof) during recovery. A 0.25 diopter is very small, but it is enough to change vision quality.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It