Just Had PRK and Epi-Lasik -- Questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just Had PRK and Epi-Lasik -- Questions

Postby born2.B.lased » Sat May 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Hey all --

I'm roughly 1.5 weeks out of surgery (op day was April 26th).

I had PRK on my left eye (which already has a lens implant from 1999) and Epi-Lasik on my right eye.

Up until day 4, I could barely keep my eyes open for more then 5 seconds at a time... day 4-5 I was much more comfortable, but had some pretty heavy haze in both eyes, and days 5-7 my vision improved steadily every day, to where I have no haziness/blooming. But what I did start noticing was the ghosting. Both eyes have it to some degree, with my left (prk) eye being the most obvious. For instance, if I look at a digital clock with my right eye closed, I'll see an extra digit at the the end. It's enough to make the vision pretty blurry in that eye... and my 1 week vision acuity test was much worse in that eye then my right (sorry, didn't get the exact numbers). They did say that I have 20/20 vision with both eyes open.

The only thing I'm nervous about now, is that the vision improvement seems to have slowed at this point. Is it normal to get to 90% very quickly, then just kinda tapper off?

Also, at the 1 week checkup, a Dr (not the lasik surgeon himself) removed my lens bandages. I felt a sharp scratching sensation in my right eye as he removed it, and when he re-checked my eyes he mentioned there was 'still' a small scratch on the eye. He gave me a new lens in the right eye and told me to come back in a week. Could he have missed such a thing when he first checked my eye before removing the lens, or did he do some damage in the process of taking it out?

And last question.... I have a red, 1/4 semi-circle mark in my right (epi) eye, right on the edge of where a contact lens would be at 2 o'clock. Have had it since surgery. Probably some damage from the suction process? I forgot to ask last time I was in the office.

Thanks in advance!
born2.B.lased

Re: Just Had PRK and Epi-Lasik -- Questions

Postby born2.B.lased » Wed May 11, 2011 6:31 pm

I had my right eye's bandage lens removed yesterday (Tuesday -- week 3). My vision in that eye is now definitely worse, but the Dr said that now that the lens is out, my eye should start healing faster and I should see improvement over the next 2 weeks.

What's rough is, my favorite pastimes are watching movies, playing sports, even video games... but I can't do any of that stuff yet, cause my vision is still too rough. I can technically watch movies and TV, but its not much fun since I'm watching with limited vision.

At the week 3 visit, I was reading some of the 20/20 line, even though real-world vision wasn't quite as close to correct as that would lead you to assume. But even that was before removing the bandage lens. Now that the lens is out, my vision is another notch worse.

Anybody think this is par for the course with PRK and Epi-Lasik healing?
born2.B.lased

Re: Just Had PRK and Epi-Lasik -- Questions

Postby born2.B.lased » Fri May 13, 2011 11:39 pm

LasikExpert --

I'd really appreciate your opinion on what I should expect now that my vision seems to have stabilized since day 7... now on week 3+ and no improvement since day 7. Once the Dr removed my bandage lens, my vision got a tick worse, and hasn't noticeably improved in the 3 days since.

Should I hold out hope that I'll start healing up eventually... or should I resign myself to waiting for an 'enhancement' after 3 months?

The Dr basically says 'wait a little longer' whenever I ask -- so apparently I'll have to wait till that 3 month visit to get any real answers, assuming my vision doesn't improve. It's just stressful, seeing how there was so much improvement from day 4-7, and now nothing (no fluctuations to the negative side either, just stable).
born2.B.lased

Return to Just Had It