can anyone please post some positive experiences?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

can anyone please post some positive experiences?

Postby wannasee » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:42 pm

Seems like only those who ended up having problems come back and post on the "just had it" board. If you've had a positive Lasik experience, could you please post that, too? Thanks!
wannasee

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:52 pm

As you are browsing around the web it is good to keep things in perspective. People who had surgery with no problems and the desired outcome have very little incentive to visit these forums and post their experiences. People with problems looking for answers do.

Or organization estimates that about 97% of patients have no residual complications at six months postop. What you will see in our "Had It A While Ago" section are residents of that other 3%. Fortunately some of the people who visited our “Just Had It” section return later to tell us their final, and most often good, results.

We all hope that no news is good news.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby wannasee » Thu Sep 28, 2006 7:04 pm

Good points, Glenn! By the way - thank you for this website! So much great info.

My biggest concern at this point is still being able to see up close. I am 34, but already can tell that right in front of my face, I can see better with my glasses off. It's all a trade off, eh?

I'm considering having one eye corrected for distance and the other leaving a bit of myopia to be able to see up close. You call that monovision I believe.
wannasee

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:25 pm

Thanks for the kind words about our website.

Yes, what you describe is monovision and we have a detailed monovision article that may be helpful.

At age 34 you are a bit young to have presbyopia, which is when the natural lens of the eye is less able to change focus on objects near. Your glasses may be overcorrecting you a small amount and this contributes to the better near vision without glasses. I recommend that you have both a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) and a cycloplegic refraction that will paralyze the natural lens inside the eye and provide your refractive error in a fully native state.

Presbyopia becomes problematic for most people after around age 40. Someone 34 would normally have another 6-10 years before near vision became difficult. That is a long time to be slightly myopic. Also, being myopic in only one eye may cause more problems than it resolves. The undercorrected eye will be constantly trying to “focus through” the myopia.

You absolutely need to try any sort of undercorrection with contact lenses before doing it with surgery. You may find the real world effects disconcerting.

You may want to discuss with your potential surgeon if planning on additional surgery in 6-10 years when presbyopia develops may be a better plan. That is, of course, if you are not now presbyopic.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby David White » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:28 am

I had it a month ago and am happy. My long distance vision is very sharp. My reading vision is fine. I have a little blurriness/ghosting at the TV viewing range. At my one month checkup I could read the 20/25 line (a little blurry but I could read it). I asked if I could try again after putting eyedrops in (just for curiosity) and I could read the 20/20 line, again a little blurry but readable.

And I'm only a month into it. Glenn always says to wait 3 months so I am thinking (hoping) that things will get a little better from here. But if they stay like this, no better no worse, it has been money well spent for me.
David White

Postby wannasee » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:44 pm

David, thank you for your post of positive experience!

AHA! Glenn, thank you! I never even considered that my glasses have me OVERcorrected. That's brilliant! Why didn't that cross my mind before?

My biggest concern is that I will lose the ability to see real well up close. This will sound funny, but I would rather need glasses to see far away than I would to see close up.

BUT, that being said, my goal of getting Lasik is that I don't want to need glasses or contacts at all, and the more that I'm reading is telling me that my goal may be unrealistic. That I may still very well need glasses or contacts still. To me, that kinda defeats the purpose of getting the Lasik in the first place.

Do you think I'm still a candidate given my high expectations:?:
wannasee

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:42 pm

wannasee wrote:My biggest concern is that I will lose the ability to see real well up close. This will sound funny, but I would rather need glasses to see far away than I would to see close up.

This is very reasonable and not odd at all. Those who perform near vision tasks more often than distance vision may elect to keep or even have surgery to induce a small amount of myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision.

If you are at or past age 40, you will undoubedly need glasses for some purposes. Either you will need glasses for distance vision (you are myopic), reading (you are presbyopic), or when superior distance or near vision is required (you have monovision).

Lasik is all about fulfilling expectations. If your expectations are not likely to be fulfilled, then you should not have Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby megeed » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:41 pm

David White wrote:I had it a month ago and am happy. My long distance vision is very sharp. My reading vision is fine. I have a little blurriness/ghosting at the TV viewing range. At my one month checkup I could read the 20/25 line (a little blurry but I could read it). I asked if I could try again after putting eyedrops in (just for curiosity) and I could read the 20/20 line, again a little blurry but readable.

And I'm only a month into it. Glenn always says to wait 3 months so I am thinking (hoping) that things will get a little better from here. But if they stay like this, no better no worse, it has been money well spent for me.

David, it is nice to hear that you're happy with the results. How much of an improvement would you say you had over this last month?

I had lasik 2 weeks ago, and things are slightly better. I am trying to gauge how much better things will get. I still can only read 20/40. I am hoping that in the next 2 weeks I can at least read 20/30.
megeed

Postby David White » Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:56 am

megeed wrote:David, it is nice to hear that you're happy with the results. How much of an improvement would you say you had over this last month?

I had lasik 2 weeks ago, and things are slightly better. I am trying to gauge how much better things will get. I still can only read 20/40. I am hoping that in the next 2 weeks I can at least read 20/30.

Not a lot of improvement since my one week check. I was 20/25 in one and 20/30 in the other. I felt like the letters were clearer but it wasn't a dramatic difference. Remember, 3 months is about 12 weeks so 2 weeks, then 4 weeks is still only a relatively small amount of that 3 month period.

Glenn can probably better answer whether the improvement is linear over 3 months or if it happens in a more random manner.
David White

Postby Button1 » Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:03 am

I am almost 2 months out from Custom Intralasik and my vision is 20/15 each eye...I was 20/150 in right eye and 20/100 in left eye prior to surgery. My only issue right now is nightime glare when driving that is more annoying than anything else. The weirdest thing for me is that I am still pushing up my "glasses" on the bridge of my nose. Kind of like a phantom limb, lol. I am all-around quite happy and wish you the best with your decision.
Button1

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Sep 30, 2006 5:00 pm

David,

Most of the healing process is slow and deliberate, however there can be sudden spurts of improvement too.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dmills1555 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:16 am

I just had Lasik on Thursday, September 28th. I am ecstatic. I was extremely near sighted. My glasses prescription was -9.5 and -11.5. I had CustomVue. By later in the evening, I was seeing pretty clearly, and by the next morning I was tested at 20/20. I have had absolutely no discomfort (not during the procedure nor afterward). VERY minor itching (which I am not sure is from the procedure, or just normal eye itches). I think once or twice, I have felt a slight feeling of something foreign in my eye, but the feeling was negligible.

I am 46 years old, but I am still able to see up close without glasses. I do find it is easier on my eyes to use reading glasses, but it is not necessary yet.

As far as side effects, I do have halos around lights, although they seem to have disapated some already. If I had to live with them the way they are, I'd be okay with it. I have also had a washed out feeling in some artificial light situations (kind of like looking through dirty contacts) a few times. Also, I think my vision is fluctuating a little. Sometimes, i feel like I should be able to see things in the distance a little better, but can't. I'd say my vision is fluctuating between 20/20 and 20/30 or 40.

I could not be happier with the results so far. I know it has only been a few days, but everything most people say says that it gets better as time goes on, and any improvement from here would be just icing on the cake.

The procedure has FAR exceeded my expectations.

Doug
dmills1555

Postby peakaboo » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:22 am

I had customvue intralasik 2 months ago and I consider it successful. My eyes get a little dry at night, and there is some halo/starburst at night, but I'm glad I did it. My 6 week exam indicated I'm seeing 20/25 in both eyes. I was -6 diopters before surgery.

If eventually the dryness goes away and the night glare gets a little better, I'll be very happy even though my vision is not perfect. 20/25 is damn close. Beats dealing with glasses and contacts.

Thanks Glenn for the great forum!
peakaboo

Postby happy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:30 am

You can read my story(somewhere in "just had it", I am very satisfied with my results. I soon will go my post-3-months check up, after that I can update :lol:
happy

Postby Jenni » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:04 pm

Hi, everyone.

I had Lasek with CustomView a month ago.

I just had my one-month post-op visit yesterday. I was definitely worried that I wasn't healing right or seeing right, so I visited this forum for help. I thought I would return today and let folks know about my progress.

My main concern was crispness of letters. Turns out that my eyes are drying out quickly. The doctor put a new plug in my left eye. He also suggested I get a cool mist humidifier and use it at night. I noticed that everything looked great after he put the plug in.

(By the way, my eyes really were improving when I switched to Systane. I feel as if I only need to put in drops every two hours. With Refresh, I felt as if I needed drops every five minutes.)

My vision was tested yesterday as well. With both eyes I'm seeing 20/15. (My eyes were capable of seeing 20/15--I understand some eyes are not) I'm very happy. My vision improves slightly each day.

For those of you still recovering: just be patient and have faith.

Best,
Jenni
Jenni

Next

Return to Just Had It