One Eye at a Time: The Best Option

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

One Eye at a Time: The Best Option

Postby theoc » Tue May 08, 2012 7:29 pm

Got lasik three months ago.

Having read up on a lot of problems with lasik a long time ago, I decided to get one eye done at a time, and to do my worst eye first. That way, if I completely messed up my eye, I'd still have one decent eye. If it worked, I would get them both done.

I can't remember what my vision was like--I'll update this if I find the exact numbers--but I believe I had -2.5 in my left and around -2 in my right. I also have a VERY strong eye reaction, meaning that I can't touch my eye, or let others touch my eye. This caused one lasik surgeon to say he was apprehensive about operating on me and led me to believe I would be unable to get lasik. I tried another doctor who was completely unconcerned about my eye reaction, so I went with him. When the time came to measure my eye pressure (where they must touch your eye), it took a few minutes and some Valium, but it worked.

The GOOD: My vision in my left eye is almost 20/20. I can go without glasses during the day, if I want. I bought a pair of sunglasses for the first time in my life.

The BAD: My night vision has small halos. If it's dark, and there is a bright light (especially white light), there will be a little glow around the light. It's worse when I'm tired or my eyes are dry. I still wear glasses most of the time because having binocular 20/20 vision is better than "looking good."

At first the halos prevented me from getting my other eye done, since I was worried about driving around at night with both eyes like this. However, I decided that I could probably drive at safely night with some slight halos. Then I realized that watching TV or movies in a dark room will make bright spots on the screen pretty blurry. This is most noticeable with subtitles. I am an avid movie watcher and have decided I'd rather be able to see movies with perfect visual accuracy (at least in one eye, with glasses on) than to not have to wear glasses.

Overall, I'm very happy I had it done. Now I don't have to wear glasses during the day. I only really have to wear them when driving at night or watching a movie in a dark room, just like before. Perhaps my left (lasik) eye will improve and I will get the other one done. The doctor said the halos would be gone after a month. They aren't, but the halos have lessened since those first few weeks.

Everyone told me to get both eyes done in one session, but I don't see the point. It costs the same either way and the operation is not such a horrible experience that having it done twice would be an unfathomable nightmare. It was pretty pleasant, aside from some light pain and five minutes of the doctor's assistant trying to measure my eye pressure. I think everyone should get one eye done at a time.
theoc

Re: One Eye at a Time: The Best Option

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 10, 2012 7:39 pm

Thanks for the report on your Lasik thus far. I suspect your minor halo issues may be able to be resolved.

If you look at our article about Lasik and halos you will see that sometimes the issue relates to pupil size. If you have normal sized pupils, it is very likely that you are simply not fully corrected. Since you note the halos watching TV, which is commonly in a lighted room, I suspect you actually need enhancement surgery to resolve a little bit of correction.

I suggest you ask your eye doctor to complete a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) to measure your refractive error while allowing accommodation (the ability to change focus from near to far). You should also have a cycloplegic refraction. It is the same, but with the natural lens paralyzed (dilated exam). These refractions will determine if refractive error remains.

You may be able to decipher the known black letters on a white background and be 20/20, but still have residual refractive error. You might even try a soft contact lens to see if enhancement surgery correction is actually necessary.

Also, although it has been three months you are still healing. Some of the halos could be from inflammation of the cornea while it heals or even a bit of Lasik dry eye.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Re: One Eye at a Time: The Best Option

Postby theoc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:02 am

Sorry for taking so long to reply.

I usually don't see the halos when watching TV unless all the lights are off. I watch TV in the dark a lot to get that cinema experience. This, as you know, increases my pupil size. That's why I'm not that surprised. However, I am due to go back to the doctor for an eye exam, so I will mention my halos to him then.
theoc

Return to Just Had It