Monovision feedback requested

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Monovision feedback requested

Postby mmcghie » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:53 pm

I am scheduled for LASIK in a couple of weeks and am having a difficult time deciding whether or not to go with the monovision option or not. I have tried the concept via different power of contacts and struggle getting used to my non-dominant eye being blurry most of the time. It is nice to be able to read small type, my BBerry, etc. Right now my reading vision is slowly going, but I only have to move most papers and BBerry slightly away to be able to read.

One concern I have is that even though I correct my nondominant eye for reading, both eyes will continue to get worse reading-wise and within a few years I'll have to wear reading glasses anyway.

Just interested in whether those with experience in monovision find that the brain adjusts more over time or if there is a continuous realization that one eye is blurry at distance.

Hopefully someone out there has some experience...difficult decision for me.
mmcghie

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:10 am

My personal experience is that the brain does adjust over time and distance vision remains slightly blurred. At age 49, I can no longer expect to have good distance and near vision, so I have accepted adequate distance and near vision.

The best indication of your ability to tolerate monovision is that contact lens trial. You are not required to have surgery now. Wear those contacts longer and be sure you want that correction lasered into your eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby marion » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:53 pm

mmcghie, Glenn is giving you very good advice!! I'm the one who didn't do a decent contact lens trial first and now can't see distance at all. I also didn't consider the variety of what people consider "acceptable" distance vision.

I plan to take my time this time and try as many corrections with contacts in various settings (NOT just the eye docs office like I did last time!) as I need. I know some Lasik places rush you into scheduling that surgery, but do it right. It's a royal pain not seeing clearly while you wait for your eyes to heal enough for an enhancement.
marion

Return to Just Had It