Lasik and Cataracts

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lasik and Cataracts

Postby julsjuls » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:01 am

Now that I went and got a second opinion they have also found I have the start of cataracts. How does this work if you have to get those fixed and you have lasik... Can the lasik cause the cataracts. If not I dont understand why the first doctor didnt see them. They are going to be suturing my right eye that has the worst wrinkle on Tuesday. I hope this will make the vision better. I wish I would have found your site before I ever did this... I would have never done it... thanks for your help
julsjuls

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:11 pm

Cataracts are when the natural lens within the eye becomes cloudy. Cataracts normally occur later in life, but can occur at infancy. Lasik does not cause cataracts, however extreme trauma to the eye can cause cataracts. The manipulation of the eye during Lasik (even difficult Lasik) is not enough trauma to cause cataracts in a normal eye.

Cataracts may exist but not interfere with vision. If the cloudiness is at the edge of the cataract, then it is of little consequence, but should be monitored. I have had a small cataract at the edge of the lens of my left eye for decades. It does not interfere in vision quality and did not limit my options for refractive surgery.

If your cataract becomes directly problematic for vision quality, the process for resolution is to remove the natural lens and replace it with an artifical intraocular lens (IOL). The IOL will be of the refractive power necessary to correct any refractive error.

For those who have not seen your previous posts, I'll mention that what is causing your vision problems is striae in the Lasik flap.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It