Visian ICL implant surgery one month ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Visian ICL implant surgery one month ago

Postby ml1983 » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:51 am

I had the Visian ICL implanted in my left eye approximately one month ago. Pre-op I was -16.50 with -2.75 astigmatism. My post-op visual acuity in the operated eye is good. BCVA improved to 20/25.
However, I am still having alot of problems in low light. Anytime I am indoors or away from bright outside light, I have problems with ghost images, and then at night streaks of lights. These distortions occur with both eyes open, or just with the ICL eye open. The procedure did not correct for astigmatism, but my glasses that I wear to correct the astigmatism make no difference in the distortions, although they do improve my vision otherwise.

Does all of this sound somwhat normal for an IOL procedure one month post-op? My doctor doesn't seem to know what is causing the issue and prescribed me Alphagan to control my pupil size to see if that helps. If these problems go away I will have the other eye done, but if not the problems are bad enough right now I'm afraid I would have to have the lens removed.
ml1983

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:02 pm

Whatever you decide to do, it is probably best to not make the decision too soon. Give your eye and brain time to adjust to your phakic intraocular lens (P-IOL)

The ghosting is undoubtedly caused or exacerbated by your uncorrected astigmatism, which is very high. The surgery may have induced additional astigmatism or irregular astigmatism. Your glasses should reduce the ghosting effects in low light environments, however glasses may not be able to resolve all of the astigmatism.

When you are able, toric contact lenses may be a good option. You will need to wait until the healing process is complete and your doctor says contacts are okay.

Depending upon the size of your naturally dilated pupils in a low light environment, the problem may be that light is hitting the edge of the P-IOL and causing the problem. This is not really consistent with your symptoms, but if the P-IOL is not centered to the pupil when it dilates, it may give a ghost effect.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Reply to Visian ICL implant surgery one month ago

Postby Ken42 » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:47 pm

Hi,

Wow. I was amazed to read your message. I recently had a Visian ICL
implanted and have similar problems. My doctor has ruled out all
the common causes.

* my pupil is small
* the lens has excellent vault
* the lens has excellent placement
* the cornea looks fine.
* correction for remaining astigmatism has no affect.
* I've contacted Staar, but they don't know what it is.

I even had the ICL replaced, but the visual artifacts are exactly the same.

My doctor is stumped. Did you every figure out what the problem was?

I've written an MS Word document with illustrations of the visual artifacts
I see. I'd be glad to send it to you.

I'd greatly appreciate any information you have.

....Ken
Ken42

Re: Reply to Visian ICL implant surgery one month ago

Postby beingbobbyorr » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:44 am

Ken42 wrote:... I've written an MS Word document with illustrations of the visual artifacts I see. I'd be glad to send it to you. ...

Would be great if you could post it to the web for all to see anytime. If you're not an uber-internet-geek, it's a very simple process:

1) create a free (little advertising on top & bottom) website address with some outfit like angelfire *.

2) save the MS Word document as an index.html file (in addition to your source file as *.doc)

3) upload the index.html file to your webspace account via your web browser

* Other free webspace options:

http://members.freewebs.com/
http://www.e-rice.net/
http://www.websited.net/
beingbobbyorr

Return to Just Had It