Had Wavefront Guided LASIK 3 Days Ago (lengthy post)

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had Wavefront Guided LASIK 3 Days Ago (lengthy post)

Postby Steve » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:59 am

I last posted in "Thinking about it" where I was asked for opinions regarding a surgeon with certification versus one without - both from the same office.

I had the surgery Friday evening and I thought I would describe my experience. I will try to include any of the details that I can remember.

My pupils were 6.8 and 6.3mm diameter (can't remember which is which). I showed a slight astigmatism in my right eye (maybe 2 degrees???) and more in the left (maybe 8 degrees???). I don't remember these numbers for sure.

I believe the surgeon used the non-laser method for creating the flap. The force on my eyes during the creation of the flap was most uncomfortable. Not pain, but like the surgeon was pressing her thumb into my eye and trying to reach the back of my head. Then something that sounded like a dremel tool fired up which made me half jump out of the chair....twice. The doctor was kind and reasuring through this.

Once the flap was lifted, I was instructed to stare at the blinking light. I asked if it would be bad for me to lose concentration and glance away and was assured that the laser was correcting for any movement faster than I could move.

The laser started pulsing. I could smell a slight aroma that reminded me of when I used to burn ants with a magnifying glass. Within what seemed like only a few seconds, it was over.

I was instructed to go home and sleep it off because the pain-relieving drops would wear off in 10-15 minutes. Sure enough, they did and I experienced the worst burning sensation I ever felt in my eyes. Too bad the drive home (wife driving, of course) was about 45 minutes. I think I slept, but constantly felt this burning.

My wife woke me up a few hours later so I could put the antibiotic and steroid drops in. It probably took 5 minutes for me to be able to open my eyes because every time I got them slightly open, tears would pour out of them. I just kept drying things up with tissues until I could open them fully.

I noticed I could see rather well. Things were a little hazy and my eyes were still a little "gritty" but felt better after the drops were put in. I could walk around and see fairly decent, then went back to bed.

I woke up the next morning and immediately put in lubricating drops. WOW! My vision seemed sharper than they ever did with my contacts (disposable soft lenses). I had a slight "dust in my eye" feeling that could be controlled by using frequent lube drops.

I drove myself to the post-op exam where I was evaluated at 20/20 Right, and 20/25 Left. I don't know what my original numbers were, but the glasses prescription was -6.75 Right, and -4.75 Left.

It is now Monday evening (third day after surgery) and I can't really feel any discomfort. My vision is wonderful. I am very glad to have had the surgergy. Now, I just hope for no complications in the healing process.

By the way, no night vision issues that I can tell. There were a lot of headlights and tail lights during the drive in to work this morning, and I did not notice anything unusual that could not be explained by the dry eyes.

I hope this helps anyone sitting on the fence in their decision to have the procedure done. It was expensive and uncomfortable for a day or so. But, for me, it seems that it was well worth it. I have spent more money on "toys" in the past - this was money better spent. One day of discomfort will be worth it to gain many years of confidence and freedom from corrective lenses.

Steve
Steve

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:25 am

Thank you for your response, Steve.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin