One week post-op with blurry vision

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

One week post-op with blurry vision

Postby dcc001 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:36 am

I'm 26 years old and I had Intralase surgery on both eyes six days ago. My perscription before was -5 (left eye) and -4.75 (right eye).

Immediately after surgery my right eye was fine, but my left eye continues to be blurry. My vision is equally blurred at any depth. Prior to surgery I had no problems with reading and no astigmatism, but right now it seems the only way I can look at a computer or read is to cover the left eye or allow my right eye to dominate. It feels almost like I have a contact lense in that is not sitting properly.

I find the vision in the left eye is better if I'm looking around a lot, or if I've just put in drops. It has not changed since the day after surgery, though.

Is this normal, and will it go away?

Darcy
dcc001

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:13 pm

What you describe is not exactly normal, but may be a known phenomena. It appears that there may be some clouding of the cornea in the one eye. This would present as hazy vision and would give poor vision quality at all distances. This sometimes occurs when the femtosecond laser is used to create the Lasik flap. If this is the problem, it will resolve with time. Probably weeks, not days.

If the problem is refractive error, then at some distance you should have good clear vision and/or your vision would be clear with corrective lenses. It is still a bit early, but you could ask your doctor for a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) that will give you your current prescription. This will tell you what amount of your problem is refractive error.

If refractive error is contributing, don't be too quick to ask for enhancement surgery. The hazing described above may be due to or may cause edema (swelling). Edema can induce refractive error, thus as the edema is resolved, the refractive error will also resolve.

It is not unusual for one eye to be affected with problems and the other not. Each eye is unique and each surgery on each eye is unique.

It is way too early to consider this your final outcome. Refractive surgery is often more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby dcc001 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:16 pm

Thanks so much for the response. I just had an appointment with the clinic where the surgery was performed, and an appointment with my family optometrist.

The consensus is that I am far-sighted in my left eye, and that the eye itself looks fine (flap is good and smooth, etc). If after several months the eye stabalizes to a far sighted condition (I believe my doctor said they are measuring a +2 curvature), can anything be done to correct it to how it was?
dcc001

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:40 am

If your hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision remains, you may want to talk with your doctor if enhancements surgery would be appropriate.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It