Ghosting after 4 months

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Ghosting after 4 months

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:58 pm

First of all thank you for the information on this website.

I had Lasik around 4 months ago. I still have some ghosting (more in my left eye). I was thinking/hoping that it will go away but so far it has not.
My eyes before the surgery were -2.5 and -2.75 and after surgery they are +0.25 and -0.5.

My questions are

1. Will the ghosting go away eventually?

2. If not can it be corrected with glasses or with some medicine? I am thinking of getting the glasses due to the overcorrection in one eye. My eye doctor (not the one who performed the surgery) has advised me not to go for the follow up surgery since the overcorrection is too low.

3. What are my other alternative? Should I be doing any specific action for the ghosting?

Thanks
Mike
Mike

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:12 am

I agree with your doctor that the overcorrection into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision may be too low for corrective surgery, but there are a few things that need to be evaluated.

If you are under about age 40-45, your natural lens within the eye has the ability to "focus around" some of the hyperopia. This is called accommodation. A cycloplegic refraction (refraction is the which is better, one or two?) will paralyze the natural lens and determine your prescription without accommodation. If your cycloplegic exam indicates a greater amount of hyperopia, then additional surgery may (emphasis on may) be something to investigate.

Ghosting after four months is not likely to go away with additional healing unless you continue to have dry eyes or your eyes are still healing. Ghosting of a single additional image per eye is likely caused by simple astigmatism. The cycloplegic refraction will determine the amount of your astigmatism also.

If you do not have dry eyes, have healed well, and your cycloplegic exam is similar to your manifest refraction (without the lens paralyzed), then you may ask your doctor to investigate CLAPIKS to help resolve the problems that remain.

Of course, glasses or even contact lenses will resolve simple refractive error, but you didn't go though all of this to wear glasses.

I also recommend that you request an examination by your surgeon.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Mike » Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:00 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I am 37 years old. I do not have dry eyes anymore. I will request for the cycloplegic test.
Will the use of glasses or contact lenses make the ghosting go away?

Thanks
Mike
Mike

Postby DryEye » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:07 pm

You're right people don't go through lasik to end up back in glasses and/or contacts. Do you think in almost there situations it is better for one to wait for better technology that will get the on the money result? Is there anything out there that can get one what almost all get the first time out?
DryEye

Return to Just Had It