"Bad Eye" Days

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

"Bad Eye" Days

Postby Betty39 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 12:23 am

I have noticed through this whole process of dealing with the dry eyes that some days are good and others are not. I have also noticed that if I even slightly rub my eyes by accident this can create a whole day of discomfort. They will feel more dry and also kind of tender when I close my eyes. Not painful just uncomfortable. Why would even slight rubbing of the eyes make them feel so dry? After almost 3 months should they be so sensitive still?
Since I've made this connection I am trying very hard to be very gentle with my eyes but I'm curious if this is normal.
Betty39

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:57 am

There are several possible reasons for the discomfort after rubbing your eyes. One is that you may be disrupting the epithelium from its attachment to the underlying cornea. The epithelium is the outermost layer of cells of the cornea.

It may be that rubbing your eyes squeezes out too much of the natural lipid oily substance that is a part of the natural tear layer.

It may be that the nerve sensitivity is heightened due to surgery.

You may want to let your doctor’s staff know of the problem and be sure to mention it to your doctor at the next exam.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It