GenTeal gel and itchy eyes?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

GenTeal gel and itchy eyes?

Postby slee104611 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:33 am

Hello Everyone,

I had LASIK on December 1st and last week my Dr. told me to use GenTeal Severe Eye Gel. I noticed that everytime I use it, it causes the inner corner of my eyes to itch. Anyone have the same reaction? Thank you.
slee104611

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:52 am

Hopefully someone will reply with a direct experience.

Each manufacturer has a slightly different formula for their artificial tears and lubricants. Sometimes the unique combination of elements cause an allergic reaction, such as itching. Let your doctor know about the problem and ask what alternative gels would be appropriate.

You may find the information at the bottom of our artificial tear and ointment page helpful.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tootingbec » Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:54 am

I use GenTeal gel sometimes (including in the post-LASIK phase) and have had no itchiness problems with it.

But it sure is creepy putting that gel in my eyes. And whose idea was it to package GenTeal in the same kind of tube that's used for superglue? I have to check the tube six or seven times on every use to make absolutely sure I am not about to glue my eyelids shut.
tootingbec

Postby Betty39 » Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:43 pm

That is so funny! When I bought the genteal I thought the same thing! Just the thought of putting superglue in your eye makes me cringe!
Betty39

Super Glue

Postby johnson1615 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:39 am

When I was in college, many years ago, I accidentally got super glue in my eye. I repaired a fake fingernail with too much glue and slung a big drop right into my eye! Luckily I was wearing contacts and got them out very quickly and that protected most of my eye. But at the hospital they numbed my eye and scraped the glue off with some sharp something. The doctor had glasses on and I could see everything he was doing in the reflection. It was the most painful experience of my entire life. There were not enough pain pills to stop that pain.
It has been 20+ years since that happened and I can remember the pain like it was yesterday. but I can laugh about it now.
No harm done to the eye!
johnson1615

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:12 am

I think we are all feeling empathy pain just reading about that. Ouch!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It