DLK and wrinkle upon lifting flap

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

DLK and wrinkle upon lifting flap

Postby jackson5 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:13 pm

Had lasik surgery on 12/16. Showed signs of DLK the next day. Started steroid drops and the left eye had the flap lifted and irrigated on 12/21. Very poor vision after lifting the flap. Was told it was probably swelling. I refused to have the other flap lifted because I had such poor vision in the one that was done. The other eye became cleared up on it's own thankfully. Found out yesterday I have wrinkles in the center of the eye that had the flap lifted. Was told to wait and see. My concerns are should I go for a second opion and where? My other concern is I still have some signs of a little bit of sands in my right eye. I am on Predforte 3 times a day in both eyes. I am going from being seen daily to come back in a week. I am a little concerned about that. I need some adivice.
jackson5

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:38 pm

Diffuse Lamellar Keratitis (DLK, Sands of Sahara) is a potentially damaging problem that is commonly resolved fully with the use of steroid eye drops. Stubborn cases may require the flap to be lifted and the interface cleared. The key to recovery is diligence.

A second opinion would give you the peace of mind that either your current doctor is treating you appropriately, or that you have a second doctor that can keep you on the right track. I recommend you seek the advice from the head of the ophthalmology department at the nearest university affiliated teaching hospital.

The wrinkles may be simple corneal striae or may be related to the DLK. A second opinion would help define the prognosis on this issue.

I highly recommend you follow your doctor's advice. DLK can be resolved successfully, but if not treated appropriately DLK can cause severe and permament damage to the cornea. If you will not accept this doctor's advice fully, then seek a doctor whose advice you will follow. DLK is not a situation where you can afford to be second guessing your doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby jackson5 » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:47 pm

I am following my doctor's orders. I set the timer so I take the drops exactly on time. My concern was the length of time between visits considering I still have some DLK in the right eye.
jackson5

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:27 pm

The doctor who has examined you knows better than I if daily monitoring is required. If you experience any negative change in vision, including vision haze, loss of peripheral vision, pain, or light sensitivity, contact your doctor immediately.

Your doctor should also be regularly checking your intraocular pressure (IOP) to be sure the steroids are not making it too high. If allowed to be too high for too long (days), it can affect the optic nerve. For the most accurate reading the pressure should be taken at the edge of the cornea outside the area of the flap, but your doctor undoubtedly already knows this. It would be common for your doctor to check your IOP at each of those every-day exams and determine if your IOP was being raised due to the steroids.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It