My Epi-Lasek Experience....

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Postby rgonyer » Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:22 pm

Absolutely. I'm no expert, but I've read enough of Glenns posts now about the subject. Swelling can cause the shape of the cornea to be incorrect, and the swelling should continue to lessen as things heal. Also, although the epithelium has probably regenerated already, it is still continuing to smooth and heal. Sounds like nothing to worry about, yet! I had all the same questions only a short time ago.

My ghosting also did not go away with drops a week or two ago.

One thing I have found out that I did not expect (but makes perfect sense):

I expected to wake up one day, a couple of weeks after surgery with great vision, thinking that some magic healing would go on while I sleep ;-) In reality what I am experiencing is a gradual improvement. While I really don't notice any difference between today and yesterday which makes me worry, when I think about where I was a week ago, there has undoubtedly been improvement.

Both my coworkers that had the same procedure from the same doctor said they weren't really happy until 1 month post - op... and they are both 20/15 now with absolutely no lingering issues. (One is about a year post op now, and one is about 8 weeks).

Relax for now ;-)
rgonyer

Feb 12th followup

Postby rgonyer » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:33 pm

I had another follow up appointment yesterday evening. The good news is that I continue to progress, even though I haven't noticed much difference between yesterday and my last followup a week and a half ago. Currently, I'm at 20/20 in my right eye and almost 20/20 in my left, with some residual astigmatism in my left.

Thursday, Feb 15th will be my 4 week post-op mark and I am generally happy at this point.

I'm still hoping that the astigmatism will gradually lessen, and since it appears I am still improving (although very slowly), I have no reason to think it won't clear up. He says I am around +1.25 or so farsighted right now, and he is hoping that will clear up as well.

He has asked me to slowly back off of the FML Forte drops, as those can cause strange fluctuations in the eye, and he feels that gradually getting off of those will help me to progress even more quickly at this point.

This particular doctor has never done an Epi followup before me, but he had done several PRK and Lasik followups. Although he only has a sample size of one, he said that he is very impressed with how my eyes are healing compared to his previous PRK and Lasik patients.

When his other patients ask about refractive surgery, he is now letting them know about epi lasek and the plusses and minuses that it brings to the table.

I decided to use him because he is directly across the street from where I work, making followups very easy. I am very impressed with him and glad that my surgeon allowed me to co-manage with this doctor.

All in all, to those of you that had epi-lasek around the same time I did or after, hang in there. Things continue to improve even at 4 weeks, and I had only a low to moderate prescription to begin with.

To those of you that are considering having it done, be prepared to rest for at LEAST a couple of days, and be prepared for several weeks of fluctuating vision. I have done a LOT of worrying over the past 4 weeks, and things seem to be coming around.

My next followup isn't for a month, but I'll keep an eye on this thread if I can help in any way.
rgonyer

re-

Postby mike r » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:51 pm

Glad to hear things are improving for you. Bada and I will try to keep the posts flowing while your checking in... I ve had to tone it down a little do to a scolding or hint to go elsewhere from our moderator...Other than that I should be contented with my results and moved on...
Only thing left for me to do is get some distance glasses but Im letting my eyes try to adjust to distance for a while...Its not that big a deal...

<Mike r>
mike r

Me Too

Postby letalou » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:32 am

I had Lasik January 18th (in colorado-land of the DRY)
I am miserable. You story sounds familiar to mine. Reading it made me feel a bit better. Everyone I know said their Lasik was GREAT!
I go to the Dr. on Monday for my 4th visit (unless I get more hysterical before then)

From hour to hour my vision changes and I can only see about 20/80. I don't care about that so much as the fact that I can't see from about 2-20ft. It's making me crazy. Not reading (I can see the computer most of the time and a book) but just...LIFE. Can't sew, can't clean, can't browse antique stores etc.

I was horribly allergic to the Vigamox given to me post-op. I had to GO ONLINE and research the drug to convince my Dr. I was allergic. My Ears and then face looked like a cooked tomato. I was told it was "contact dermititis" from something, but when it showed up down my arms I convinced them it was the Vigamox. So the question is WHAT WAS IT DOING TO MY EYES for two days? ugh.

I am very dissapointed. I didn't do this for "vanity", i think I actually look better withtthe glasses I've worn for 20+ years. I did it because I was tired of feeling handicapped without them!

A friend of mine from France gave me some eye drops he used 2 years ago that contain B12. I tried them yesterday for the first time. I can't say if they are any better then the other ones I've been using. (I can't find B12 drops in the US!)

So there's my story.
letalou

THE STORY???

Postby mike r » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:03 am

First off rgonyer did nt have lasik.
Second we dont know your whole story because we dont know your prescription or did you have keratome or laser flap???
Is the eyesight poor from reaction to medication???

All were getting is a not to pleasant outcome without details...

Some with high prescription may need enhancement...
mike r

Postby letalou » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:31 am

Oh.

I posted before I read ALL the other subjects. I was just so relieved to see I was not alone in my dissapointment with eye surgery. I would have been more prepared if I had read something like this before my surgery. All my friends who had it said it was GREAT! A next day miracle!

I had Lasik with the laser flap. I was 500 in one eye and 600 in the other.
Astigmatism in both. Glasses/contacts/glasses since I was 10. In my 40's without previous presbyopia (sp?)

Can't see middle ground (like I said 2-20ft) which is hands-down the most frustrating compant I have. My distance isn't 20/20 either. My left eye seems to see things darker than my right. I was told I need to wait to heal. This is difficult when my friends didn't have to wait. It makes me nervous.

The allergy to the Vigamox makes me nervous also. Like I did damage to my eyes or something.

The last check up (to weeks ago) I was told my eyes looked like they were scratched with a brillo pad. I do live in Colorado so of course my eyes are very dry. I use the drops contantly. I tried the B12 drops from France. They feel good, but don't know if they are doing any good.
letalou

Postby letalou » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:33 am

I also can't type very well
letalou

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:22 am

letalou wrote:All my friends who had it said it was GREAT! A next day miracle!

I bet that if you talk with your friends in detail they will recall that there were fluctuations, dry eyes, and othe minor problems during the early stages of healing that they have all but forgotten now that their vision is fine.

letalou wrote:Can't see middle ground (like I said 2-20ft) which is hands-down the most frustrating compant I have. My distance isn't 20/20 either.

You may want to read about eye strain while adjusting to the new vision and sudden presbyopia after Lasik.

letalou wrote:The last check up (to weeks ago) I was told my eyes looked like they were scratched with a brillo pad. I do live in Colorado so of course my eyes are very dry.

A rough corneal surface would explain the poor vision quality. We have a detailed article about dry eye treatment that may have some ideas you have not yet cosidered.
Last edited by LasikExpert on Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Virginia » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:29 am

Letalou,
I know exactly what you are talking about when you complain about poor middle vision. I never knew middle vision existed before lasik. How bad is it to go grocery shopping? Better yet, being a shopaholic and you can't see tags or what clothes look like on you without your $10.00 magnifying reading glasses. Could my husband have had something to do with that ?? HA HA! I was told to wait for the middle vision to get better. Well, it hasn't. The doctor I am co-managing with said I must have misunderstood my surgeon when he told me my close up vision would only need reading glasses from out to only 13 inches!! I absolutely did not as I was thinking "That will be good as the computer sits farther away and I will not need readers." I just pray I get resolve as this is consuming my life. Thank God we can vent to each other as no one who hasn't gone through it with problems understands.
Virginia

March 12, 2007 Followup

Postby rgonyer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:19 pm

Just wanted to give a quick followup.

Had a checkup last night, 20/20 both eyes, 20/15 when using both eyes at once. I still have a bit of ghosting in my left eye, and astigmatism in both, but it's pretty minor and doesn't bother me much. The ghosting still comes and goes in my left eye, but it is less often and less severe when it does happen now. I'm hoping to keep improving, although my right eye didn't change at all from my last appointment.

I guess I expected a "better than perfect" result since I opted for wavefront epi-lasek, which in a lot of peoples opinions result in better outcomes than lasik due to it being a surface treatment, however, how can I complain? My biggest fear of surgery (having even drier eyes than I started with) has been a non-issue, so I'm thrilled about that.

My wife dropped one on me a a while back- she was suspecting that they might have done the "wrong eyes" with the "wrong information". At the clinic where I had my surgery, they allow the people in the waiting room to watch (with your permission of course). She swears that when they were doing my left eye, the data on the screen said "right", and vice versa. My eyes were very close to begin with, so I would expect a decent outcome even if they did do this.... but the wavefront data would have been useless, or possibly even caused problems.

Glenn- Is this even possible, or does the machine double check to make sure you have the right program loaded?
rgonyer

Re: March 12, 2007 Followup

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:59 pm

It is possible to program the wrong information into the computer system, but if the laser uses iris recognition (Visx S4) for tracking it would be virtually impossible to switch eyes.

The microscope is looking at the eye upside down. It may also be that the recorded image is flopped when going through the microscope to the recorder.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rgonyer » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:12 pm

The unit that they used on me was a Ladarvision 4000.... same deal?

I can't imagine it's a mistake that would be made very often, if it's even possible.
rgonyer

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:05 pm

The Alcon LADARVision uses a different tracking method. This is one issue that can be easily checked. The laser creates a printout of the treatment performed and this would be in your medical chart.

Entering wrong treatment numbers does happen, but it is rare. Doctors create systems of multiple checks to reduce the probability of a mishap, but surgery is done by people and people can make mistakes.

It is much more likely that an undesired result is due to the variability of microsurgery on biological tissue than punching in the wrong numbers.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rgonyer » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:31 am

Almost 2 years later and I couldn't be happier. Just a long term follow up! haha.

I had a friend ask me about my surgery a couple of days ago, so I pointed them here... which caused me to go back and read my old thread.

Anyway - no ghosting, and my dry eye is no worse than pre-surgery... no other issues at all, with great vision. I didn't even lose any of my close up vision, which I was very concerned about.
rgonyer

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:45 am

Glad to hear of your excellent outcome and especially glad that you returned to provide an ending to the story.

Hopefully your friend will find this website equally useful.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Just Had It