Redness/eye rubbing

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Redness/eye rubbing

Postby ssmarsh8 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:28 pm

Rubbing your eyes could obviously be a disaster for Lasik folks post-surgery, but is it equally dangerous for PRK people like me?

Had custom PRK 5 days ago. Woke up last night with one of my plastic eye covers missing (I tape on individual covers, as goggles drive me nuts). I was told to wear them while sleeping for a week. Anyway, the left cover had fallen off, but my right eye actually was the one that suddenly felt like it had something in it, and also had a large red area on one edge of the cornea. I put in some tears and anti-bacterial drops and went back to bed with both eye covers in place. Redness was gone in the morning, but the right eye still feels irritated. I'm worried that although the left cover fell off this allowed my finger to wiggle into my right eye in my sleep.

Thanks. Will be posting my day-by-day tale tomorrow. Sarah
ssmarsh8

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Rubbing your eyes after a surface ablation technique such as PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik may cause pain and temporarily disrupt vision, but is not likely to be a long-term problem or require immediate treatment.

The difference between Lasik and a surface ablation technique is the creation of a flap of corneal tissue. If the Lasik flap is disrupted by vigorous eye rubbing it can be very problematic and require immediate care.

When you rub your eyes after PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik all you are likely to disrupt is the epithelium. The epithelium is the outermost layer of the cornea and is comprised of the fastest reproducing cells in the human body. If you do disrupt the epithelium, it will regenerate quickly. In fact, PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik all mortally wound the epithelial cells. That is one of the reasons vision recovery is slower with a surface ablation technique. The epithelial cells need to regenerate.

Of course, if you are still wearing your bandage contact lens you may cause more trouble and if you actually scratch your cornea it is a whole different story, but rubbing your eyes after PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik is probably not going to be a big issue. Do, however, notify your doctor of this event.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Question for Glenn

Postby jamie » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:45 am

I am 2 weeks post Lasik. One eye feels like there is foreign object. I went to the doctor but he was busy with a surgery so I was seen by his assistant who told me that there is scratch on my eye and prescribed Vigamox. What do you think?
jamie

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:01 am

A scratch on the corneal surface could explain the problem. Vigamox is an antibiotic. The doctor apparently wants to protect you from an infection.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It