PLUGS side effects

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PLUGS side effects

Postby mike r » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:37 am

I have had a plug in lower tear duct 1 eye...

Questions regarding long term general use.

1) If a plug is removed will it excasberate dry eye do to enlargement of the tear duct? Thus creating a bigger drain for tears.

2)Do they need maintainence over time(removal and replacement even if considered permanent plugs)?

3)Once plugs are introduced does it tend to be a permanent application?
Obviously your not healing or strenghtening the prior condition.

4) Could there be any long term complications once released from lasik physician care? Does it need to be inspected or passed on to a future opthamologist for any reason?

<mike r >
mike r

Re: PLUGS side effects

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:09 am

mike r wrote:1) If a plug is removed will it excasberate dry eye do to enlargement of the tear duct? Thus creating a bigger drain for tears.

Properly fitted punctal plugs should not permanently expand the tear ducts after removal.

mike r wrote:2)Do they need maintenance over time(removal and replacement even if considered permanent plugs)?

Punctal plugs should be checked as a part of a general eye examination and if there is inflammation or redness around the punctum.

mike r wrote:3)Once plugs are introduced does it tend to be a permanent application? Obviously your not healing or strenghtening the prior condition.

Punctal plugs treat a symptom, not the cause of dry eye. Treating the cause (if possible) is much better, but punctal plugs are a good way to reduce the dispersal of tears.

mike r wrote:4) Could there be any long term complications once released from lasik physician care?

Usually no, however they can become dislodged, move too far down the punctum, or irritate the punctum. An annual exam or as a response to a related problem should be all needed maintenance. Check with your eye doctor.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby rgonyer » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:57 pm

How do you like it so far, and do you notice any irritation from it? Has it helped alleviate your dry eye condition?
rgonyer

followup-

Postby mike r » Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:56 am

First off working alot as usual...

I thought to myself today Ive pretty much adjusted to the monovision my eyesights still just as clear as initially and the bright lights have let up pretty significantly. I still get the let s say inconsequential ghosting on tv small white lettering and distant headlights. But the early dawn or evening moon no longer ghosts noticed that this evening. Generally Im pretty damn satisfyed with the outcome. Guess thats why im not posting as much anymore. I go friday for my 30dy checkup even though Im beyond that.
I hope that Prk you and Smarsh did continues improving but I am glad I didnt take that route. Even if I have flaps.
Also I dont think I can see continued vision improvement its like I said damn good but just wish my distance vision was stronger. I wonder everyday throughtout the day how long this will last. I think when is that astigmatism going to creep back where I need to squint again. Or things blur but it has nt happened yet. I m quite greatful.
The dry eye thing isnt a big issue. I thought plugs would have helped the ghosting but not. My concern from this earlier thread was how long I needed to put up with the plug or not and long term issue of foreign body in the tear duct after I walk away from worrying about the eyes anymore. But i have noticed when its real cold out my plugged eye tears up big time and runs out my eye.
Also still putting the refresh in about 4 times a day but its not a necesity. Still in the morning my eyes dryer than before lasik but rest of day really wouldnt need any drops.

Thats the latest update <mike r>
Ps I also found another forum related to my ooccupation been spending time there. cablevine.com where i can be an instigator bye all.
mike r

Postby rgonyer » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:02 am

Excellent! I am glad you are happy with your lasik and and monovision choice! As with nearly anything in life these days, there is no "right" choice, only what is "most" right for any given person. I am now absolutely thrilled that I chose surface ablation. To me, it was worth the little bit longer battle, but honestly it wasn't that long. I'm 2 weeks tomorrow. Todays tests showed I'm 20/25 in one eye, and 20/30 in the other, and my ghosting in both eyes is nearly gone.
rgonyer

Return to Just Had It