PRK about 3 weeks ago - fuzzy, but improving

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PRK about 3 weeks ago - fuzzy, but improving

Postby candcwelch » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:11 pm

I ended up having PRK mid January. I ended up going with [a doctor] in Gainesville, FL over the free offer from [another doctor] (which required too much traveling) I found out I had Basement Membrane Dystrophy pre-op and that PRK corrected that (yeah!). The first day was okay, the next two were really rough. Then improvement came. I was seeing pretty good, then they took off the contacts around day 7. Well, things went down hill, but are improving again. I can see the computer fairly well now and can drive fine. Details are still a bit fuzzy, but I am still on the pred-forte drops 4 times a day, anti-biotic in one eye only 4 times a day, and tear drops. I ended up needing plugs for dry eye, but they should disolve in a couple of months. Any ideas about when vision gets sharp after PRK?

Thanks,
Celeste

Note: This post was edited to remove physicians' names.

valeriegrace.com
candcwelch

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:03 pm

Epithelial Basement Membrane Dystrophy (EBMD) is a condition wherein the outermost layer of cells on the cornea (epithelium) have difficulty holding on to the underlying cells. EBMD can be problematic for Lasik and All-Laser Lasik, however the surface ablation techniques of PRK, LASEK, and Epi-Lasik often resolve the condition by removing or disrupting the epithelium and allowing it to regenerate anew. Think of it as rebooting your eyes.

What you describe is a very normal recovery process for PRK. "Functional fuzzy" vision is common in the first few days with steady, but slow, improvement in the following weeks. Dry eye will slow the healing, so keep up with your dry eye treatment regimen. Your corenas were already a bit compromised by the EBMD, so be patient. You are healing in multiple ways to resolve multiple problems.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

PRK

Postby DSB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:25 am

After PRK did you have to have glasses or contacts at anytime to be able to see at all? I am 4 weeks postop and first had a pair of glasses so I could see close work and now I am in contacts so I can drive (vision 20/40).
DSB

Return to Just Had It