Is there anyone in this forum suffering from astigmatism?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Is there anyone in this forum suffering from astigmatism?

Postby bada5150 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:06 pm

Is there anyone in this forum suffering from astigmatism? I am really not seeing thing right because of this. I am wondering if I am the only one. A lot of people seems to have some in their eye but seems like it doesn't really bother them.
bada5150

Me!

Postby tiggy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:33 pm

Hi -

I am 4 weeks post op PRK.
OD - 7 -3.5
OS -7.5 -2.75

(Not sure I got the signs correct)

Any ways I am very nearsighted with big dose of astigmatism- on the border of what they currently can do with PRK from what I am told. My doc is running trials for those with higher corrections. So I expected to have some astigmatism for awhile.

At 3 weeks when they took some topographical scans (?) they felt all my error in vision was due to astigmatism. Hopefully this will resolve itself by 6 months.

My vision is
OD 20/25
OS 20/30-50 depending on how dry my eyes are.

It mainly messes up reading signs and such. I have no idea how much nor have I had a full correction yet.

How far along are you? I have hear it takes quite awhile in some cases. My initial healing was the fastest my doc had ever seen yet my vision got worse after the contact was removed and has improved slowly. Hang in there!!

Tigs
tiggy

Postby bada5150 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:57 pm

I am almost 4 weeks post op lasik.
Doctor told me that I have still little astigmatism left on my right eye. It really bothers me. Assuming that my right eye has little astigmatism because it is little blur and time to time I see ghosting on stop light. (there is little stop light below stop light, ghosting is little below stop light.) It really bothers me because I don't see blur or ghosting on my left eye.
Doctor told me to wait because my eye is still changing and it will change again he said.

I hope we all see better in the future but it seems this astigmatism is bothering me because I have it only one eye.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:33 pm

You doctor is correct in recommending that you wait. You are still very early in the healing stage. Some changes can be expected, and hopefully they are all for the best!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:44 am

Thank you Glenn,
I hope it will get better. But it is really hard for me to get through my work because of this astigmatism. I am going back to Doctor at the end of this month. He is willing to get me glasses. I work at engineering field and it requires a lot of computer work.

Should I get glasses at the end of the month to correct my astigmatism? Or is it bad idea to get one? But it will be hard to work with unbalanced eye for next 5 months.

Your opinion is really appreciated. I really want to know what people do in this case, I mean people who had surgery like and having some problems at work.

Thank you
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:21 am

If you need glasses to function while your eyes heal, then by all means get them.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bada5150 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:26 am

Are there people who wearing glasses before their eyes heal because it is hard to see?
bada5150

Postby tiggy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:48 am

I wear reading glasses when I read a book or the computer screen- although I am needing them less as time goes by. Does that count as a 'glasses'? I'm in my 40's so I expected to need them for close work. Before the PRK I was not quite yet in bifocals- just starting to notice that I might need help.

I wear my sunglasses when my eyes get tired- even at work. They really help when the computer screen is getting to me. Contrasts of bright lights become a annoying glare. I have to work at a computer a good bit too.

So far I haven't done much night driving so I don't know whether the lights will bother me. At 1 month post-PRK my eyes still get light sensitve when they are tired.

Are you wearing sunglasses or glasses?? 8)

Tigs
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:09 am

All computer monitors are able to have contrast and brightness adjusted. You may be able to reduce the source of the irritation rather than wear sunglasses.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Hi Glenn- I have aready done that! I changed the background screen color and adjusted the contrast and brightness. I still prefer the sunglasses when my eyes get tired and light sensitive.

How long did it take you to heal from PRK?

Tigs
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:05 pm

I did not have a normal recovery from my PRK because I misused my medication. Yes, I of all people should know better. I was provided a bottle of diluted numbing drops and instructed to use sparingly. I used it way too often and toxified my epithelium, causing an abrasion and epithelial scaring. It took several months for the epithelium to heal from that abuse, thicken, and smooth, but it did.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:15 pm

Glenn-
OUCH :shock:

Actually, hearing this gives me hope! I sounds like there can be a good outcome inspite of difficulties. :D

How far post op are you?

Tigs
tiggy

Postby bada5150 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:17 pm

Glenn,
It took you several months for you to heal. Probably, you didn't notice day to day difference. I am not really noticing improvement. I compare my vision everyday and it is really hard to notice anything.
Does epithelium still heal after lasik not PRK? Does it heal very slow so that one can not notice day to day change?

Thank you
bada5150

LASik vs PRk

Postby mike r » Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:53 pm

My results vision quality wise has only changed maybe 10% tops since my lasik on dec 21...The limited ghosting still exists under minimal circumstances...

Everyday I try to see a little bit further with small print at boxes or signs whatever...Hoping I would get more distance. But it never changes. Unless its the little bits...

But if it doesnt get any better or worse Im still happy with the results.

They said they stomped out my astigmatism like that was there main focus for me...Maybe thats all I needed essentially...

I had the flying spot but know laser cut the flap...

So I was a 5min miracle...

I liked the 5 min miracle dont ever get poked in the eye again scenario vs the wait it out painful unsure healing outcome but I can still be a pro boxer and climb mt everest down the road that dominates these non flapsters results...

Maybe if they dont get it right with lasik out of the gate you need the flap lift again...

I was already told know flap lift for me at 40dys...the second visit...Not trying to gloat or anything...I just can tell the results are to close to risk a further tweak and doctor even affirmed the same..

<MIKE R>
mike r

Postby bada5150 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:12 am

Mike do you see ok then? Or are you having trouble like me? Having astigmatism on my right eye makes me really hard to do anything. It is really tough to get through the day. That is why I am trying to get glasses because it is so hard to get through the day.

Can you see it ok? Are you having monovision?
bada5150

Next

Return to Just Had It