Astigmatism "fine tune"

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Astigmatism "fine tune"

Postby bada5150 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:03 pm

Glenn,
If I understood correctly, every 1.00 astigmatism, automatic .25 moypia correction.
Say someone has spherical of plano and astigmatism of -2.00 gets corrected for astigmatism, then (fine tune) ends up with +.50 (heperopia) with 0.00 astigmatism?

How do they really fine tune? Can any machine (such as flying spot technology) can correct the cause of astigmatism only? Or it has to correct whole new ablation zone?

Thank you in advance.
bada5150

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:11 pm

The scenario you present is exactly what can happen. It is possible for the surgeons to attempt to adjust the spherical correction - effectively making a hyperopic correction of 0.50 diopters at the same time as the 2.00 astigmatic correction - but this is not always successful. A patient in this situation would be best served to expect an additional hyperopic correction after the astigmatic correction then if the additional correction is not needed the patient is pleasantly surprised.

The coupling effect is a matter of physics. Until they change physics, all lasers meet this same limitation.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

correction-

Postby mike r » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:08 pm

I dont think this is the right equation because-

I was a +1.25 sphere -2.50astigmatism and ended up a minus sphere.

Not even close to the scenario presented. I should have at least maintained a a + sphere...

Please recheck the formula and restate...

With the correction..

Graciously thankful and extraordinarily apreciative before a response,

<mike r>
mike r

Return to Just Had It