prespbyopia and lasik..my story

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

prespbyopia and lasik..my story

Postby okicowboy » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:08 pm

I have removed my post (sorry) due to family and privacy issues.
Last edited by okicowboy on Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
okicowboy

Postby Virginia » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Wow! I cant believe this has made you so Physically sick. I will tell you that I had trouble with middle vision for weeks after lasik. It drove me crazy and I never knew there was such a thing as middle vision until I lost it. It will get better. I am 52 and I knew I would need reading glasses from the drug store. There are charts to test your self as far as what strength you need at certain stores. Be careful as the ones I needed right after lasik where not the same strength I needed 4 wks. later. It is amazing how your vision will fluctuate. I did have dizzines and headaches too. That has gotten better. It still isn't perfect. I did have my 5 week check and found out I was over corrected. They got rid of my astigmatism but now my rt. eye is a +1.25 sph. I will need enhancement but have to wait for 2-3 mo. I am skeptical Of another surgery even though it is only one eye. It is harder to treat hyperopia than myopia. Anyway, Glenn is real good about answering questions and this site is very informative. I will be interested to see what your corrected prescripton is. You doctor probably won't check that for a couple weeks. Hang in there and usually things do get better!
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:02 pm

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. You are experiencing what I call "Sudden Presbyopia", but I think you may also be having trouble with Lasik eye strain related problems.

You may want to talk with your surgeon about CLAPIKS. This is a technique that may cause a bit of regression back toward myopia (nearsighted, shortsighted) vision. If the doctor believes it is appropriate, you may want to consider trying CLAPIKS in your nondominant eye for monovision, or both eyes to become more myopic for better near vision.

Ask your doctor for a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two) and a cycloplegic refraction (which is better one or two, with the ability to accommodate restricted). I wonder if you are actually not plano (no refractive error), or if you are a bit overcorrected into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision. The Snellen 20/whatever test is limited and may not give an indication of why you are becoming so ill.

It is easier said than done, but don't be beating yourself on this decision. It is not going to do you any good, and anxiety and depression are going to do you harm. As you have learned from our website, you are not alone in this situation. As your vision stabilizes your vertigo and nausea will undoubtedly resolve. As your eyes become accustomed to the new range of vision, your headaches should resolve. Yes, these situations suck, but try to keep perspective. Once things settle down, you will be dealing with what just about everyone with "normal" vision deals with at your age.

Sometimes "normal" is not all it's cracked up to be.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Betty39 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:03 am

Wow! My heart goes out to you! I guess I'm going to quit whining so loudly about my burning dry eyes. At least I can see well.
It's amazing these things are not explained to people in more detail pre-surgery so at least we would understand what may lie ahead. True most people don't have significant complications but if you don't fall in that catgorie it really is horrible.
I know you are beating yourself up about your decision to do this. I have been doing that for 5 months. But Glenn is right, you have to make peace with it or it will do you more harm than your surgeon did. It's not your fault, you didn't understand and it wasn't fully explained to you what could possibly be your outcome. I know it's hard, every time I write a check for the loan I took out to do this to myself it's like adding insult to injury.
It does seem that things do settle down over time. I had bad eye strain the first 2 months and that has gone away now.
Hang in there and please now you are not alone.
Betty39

Postby susieQ » Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:27 am

I am really sorry about your experience. I experienced dizziness, nausea and headaches as well in the beginning. I have monovision and contribute my experiences to it. However, everything is getting better almost every day. I have only been dizzy a couple of times lately and the nausea and headaches are gone. I am getting used to the monovision and it is wonderful. So, my point is, as Glenn said, monovision might be an option for you later. Hang in there and give yourself some time to heal. Take care.
susieQ

lasik and presbyopia..my story

Postby okicowboy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:35 am

Last edited by okicowboy on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okicowboy

Re: lasik and presbyopia..my story

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:45 am

okicowboy wrote:As to what state I am at now, the doctors hasnt said, except that I am at zero (whatever that means).

0.00 diopter refractive error. Your eyes are "normal".

okicowboy wrote:Anyone know if its worth checking into Varilux or izon lenses, or if I should just figure out to get computer progressives for work, and regular progressives for everyday?

If you are working at a computer, the distance from the monitor to your eyes should not vary much. I'm not sure why you would need a progressive lens. It seems a single focus lens would be best. You would need to experiment with the readers to find what power works best. If you are constantly going from closer to farther to farther still, then progressives may be best.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby okicowboy » Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:07 am

Last edited by okicowboy on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okicowboy

Postby okicowboy » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:01 am

Last edited by okicowboy on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
okicowboy

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:57 am

Please let us know if you learn what your prescription is.

Not to make light of your situation and I know you are miserable, but your post reminded me of when our website first went live and we had an online translation system. You could click for automated translation into German, Italian, French, and Russian. This seemed to be a valuable tool until a relative from Germany emailed me.

It seems the software did not quite understand the terms "refractive surgery" and "refractive surgeon". It translated "refractive" into "vomit".

For a while, in German at least, we were a vomiting patient advocacy providing objective information about vomit surgery and certifying vomiting doctors. I can only imagine what we were in Russian.

We removed the translation software.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It