PRK and still can't see

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PRK and still can't see

Postby DSB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:50 am

I had PRK on 2-9-07. I went to the center for surgery expecting to have Lasik but was told I would need to have PRK (no education given about the PRK). My vision before surgery was -5 and after surgery is + 5 (which is totally on the other side of where it should be). Surgery was done in Atlanta, Ga. and follow-ups are done in Mobile, Al. Surgery was done on Friday and I couldn't even open my eyes until Monday due to burning and scratchy feeling. I was told vision would be much better after 5th day when contact bandages came out (still could not read top line on chart). Then I was told to give it 7 to 10 days (still couldn't see close up or far off). I went back to doctor and got glasses for close work at office (still can't see to drive). Went back a week later and got contacts and prescription for Acular to use for 2 weeks. I have called the doctor in Atlanta numerous times (won't return calls). The follow-up doctor has faxed my results to Atlanta. The representatives there that will talk to me say this is "normal". My question is do you have to have glasses/contacts to be able to see?
DSB

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 am

It appears that your lack of visual function has much less to do with PRK recovery than it does with a tremendous overcorretion into hyperopia (farsighted, longsighted) vision. If you are now actually 5.00 diopters hyperopic, your vision quality will be poor at all distances no matter how well you heal...at least until you have the overcorrection resolved.

Please contact me directly at glenn dot hagele at usaeyes dot org.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

One month postop exam (PRK)

Postby DSB » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:09 am

Went back for exam today one month postop PRK with surgeon and O.D. in Atlanta. Today right eye +3 and left eye +2.50. Still can't see without contacts. Vision with contacts 20/40. Will have checkups once a month and hopefully by 3 months the prescription will levelize and decision for another procedure made at that time. Not really sure why this happened this way.
DSB

Return to Just Had It