SEVERE DRY EYE AND HAD LASIK 11 weeks ago

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

SEVERE DRY EYE AND HAD LASIK 11 weeks ago

Postby dry_eye_mad_lady » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:11 am

OMG...I feel like I am going to lose it. I have had to go on anti depressants for severe anxiety and depression over my severe dry eye.

I have done EVERYTHING the docs have told me to and then some.

Here is what I have done:

1. Punctal plugs (both upper and lower). Not helpful!!!!
2. Restasis (started early January). Still no relief!!!!
3. Flax Seed Oil and Omega-3 Fish Supplements. Not helpful!!!
4. Taping eyes shut at night (doc said it is possible I sleep with my eyes open). Not helpful and actually MORE uncomfortable.
5. Every eye drops, gel, and ointment on the market.

I am still having extreme problems. I have had 3 separate opinions from the lasik doc and they all said ****newsflash***** that I have severe dry eye.

I never had a problem with dry eyes before this procedure. Never an issue.

Now...I feel like I am going crazy. I have to put drops in every 10 minutes (sometimes every 5). I use Refresh PM at night but cannot use it in the day b/c it causes eye strain and I cannot see with it in.

I am so frustrated and wondering if LASIK was the worst decision of my life. I am only 34 and feel like the quality of my life has been totally ruined.

Am I stuck with this for life????????? I hope not. :x
dry_eye_mad_lady

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:30 am

Sorry to hear of your difficulties.

Before knowing how to treat a problem the actual nature of the problem needs to be diagnosed. It is very easy to spin yourself around in circles with moderate results. If your dry eye problem is due to tear quality, then gallons of artificial tears will not resolve the root problem. If it is due to tear quantity, supplements may not be of any help. Read our article on dry eye treatment for details.

According to the manufacturer, Restasis does not become fully effective for about 90 days.

Nine weeks is still relatively early in the normal six month healing process. This problem may resolve with appropriate treatment and continued healing. The statistical probability is that it will.

Anxiety and depression will not help your dry eyes so treatment for these difficulties is absolutely appropriate, however some anti-depressant and anti-anxiety medications can dehydrate. Check to see if you are inadvertently contributing to the dry eye.

Instead of taping your eyes shut at night, try a pair of swimming goggles that cover only around each eye. They are relatively comfortable (compared to taping your eyes) and help hold in moisture. You may find a humidifier in your bedroom is an effective alternative.

Has the doctor performed a Shirmer test (tear quantity) and a Tear Breakup test (TBU)? If yes, what are the results.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

GOING CRAZY

Postby dry_eye_mad_lady » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:38 am

Glenn,

I have been through so many tests that I don't know whether the tests you mention have been performed on me. I will ask at my next appointment.

All of the doctors stated the LASIK procedure caused the dryness (severed nerves???) and should restore to pre-op levels after full recovery. I am having difficulty believing them.

Swimming goggles and wheatgrass juice (I read that somewhere and am willing to try anything). Here I come.

My last doc visit (i.e. the 3rd opinion) was with an opthamologist who formerly performed LASIK. He stated he had dry eye for 2 years!!!!!!

If I knew this would've happened, I would have never ever gotten LASIK.

I want my damn glasses back!
dry_eye_mad_lady

Re: GOING CRAZY

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:57 am

dry_eye_mad_lady wrote:I have been through so many tests that I don't know whether the tests you mention have been performed on me. I will ask at my next appointment.

If you have been to a third opinion, you would have had both tests. If your doctors diagnosed dry eye, then one or both were deficient. The article cited gives ideas on treatment.

dry_eye_mad_lady wrote:All of the doctors stated the LASIK procedure caused the dryness (severed nerves???) and should restore to pre-op levels after full recovery. I am having difficulty believing them.

About 40% (depending upon the study) of Lasik patients have temporarily induced dry eyes, but about 3% of patients have an unresolved complication at six months postop. You are traveling down a well-worn path.

dry_eye_mad_lady wrote:My last doc visit (i.e. the 3rd opinion) was with an opthamologist who formerly performed LASIK. He stated he had dry eye for 2 years!!!!!!

Yes, dry eye symptoms can be longer term. I'm glad to hear his resolved.

dry_eye_mad_lady wrote:If I knew this would've happened, I would have never ever gotten LASIK.

Hindsight 20/20 (pun intended). Hopefully at six months postop you won't feel this way.

dry_eye_mad_lady wrote:I want my damn glasses back!

Somehow I think you would prefer having moist eyes again. That is still not only possible, but is also probable.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It