Just Had Epi Lasik 2/26 Blurriness

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Just Had Epi Lasik 2/26 Blurriness

Postby twinszz » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:23 pm

I had the Epi Lasik on 2/26. I do not remember the procedure at all after taking the "chill pill." I know I was out the whole afternoon and night.

The next morning, I could see the clock without my glasses. I was 20/200 each eye or -5 and -5.25. My left eye felt like something was in it. It was more of an irritation than pain.

I was not told I could not drive the next day. Nor was I told I would need to take some days off. Ookayy!!

I went in the next morning for a follow up. My Dad drove me. I could see the charts at 20/20, yet I still had blurriness and the contacts were still in.
Well, I had to go to work tthat afternoon. I drive a lot for my job. It was exscrutiating. I had tears just falling down my face. I could not find shades dark enough to help with the light sensitivity. Driving home that same night was just as exscrutiating. The next day was just as bad.

The third day was much better. The pain to light sensitivity dropped at least 80%. My eye sight had regressed.

I cannot read small print. Medium print is still blurry, but manageable. However, I am in reading glasses, still with blurriness, so that I can read and check my work emails. Everything is still blurry on the pripheral!!!

One week later, the blurriness persist and my eyesight has not improved at all!! Acturally, this is when I finally got the reading glasses.

Yesterday, on day 11, I began to feel off centered or light headed. It feels as if my eyes are not healing at the same rate and that my depth perception is off.

Today on day 12, same thing. A little light headed and I definitely have dry eyes when I wake up, either in the middle of the night or the next morning. I keep my eyes hydrated, but, the blurriness persist. I am on the prednisone and the tear drops.

Is this normal? How long does it take for the blurriness to go away after Epi Lasik?
twinszz

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:40 pm

Not exactly "normal", but what you are experiencing is known.

The Epi-Lasik process creates a flap of epithelium (soft outermost layer of corneal cells), which is moved aside and repositioned over the treatment area after the laser has reshaped the cornea. This process mortally wounds the epithelium. The cells will die, be sloughed off, and will regenerate. This is sometimes an irregular process.

For some Epi-Lasik patients, vision is good for a few days, goes downhill, is irregular and fluctuating for a few days, and then resolves back to good quality vision.

You probably do have a different recovery from one eye to the other. That imbalance can cause the dizziness you describe, poor depth perception, nausea, and disorientation. This is very likely to resolve on its own with additional healing, but you need to notify your doctor of your difficulties.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Epi Lasik on 2/26

Postby twinszz » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:14 pm

Yes, I have an appointment in the morning. I'm hoping they will have some drops that will increase the healing process because I feel I have hit a plateau with the healing.

Thank you for your response.
twinszz

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:09 am

I doubt you have hit a plateau just yet. You are less than two weeks postop from a surface ablation technique. I suspect that the next 1-2 weeks will continue to fluctuate on the lesser side of improvement, and then crisp vision will slowly return. The changes will be like watching a clock.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It