Had LASIK 3-7-7

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Had LASIK 3-7-7

Postby tbone » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:28 am

This forum has been helpful to me and I just wanted to let you know how things came out.

The procedure went pretty fast, maybe 20 minutes. When the laser was operating I was supposed to look at the red light. I couldn't really see it. It looked like an orange smear, but I guess it worked out OK. After the procedure I couldn't really see that well. Everything looked like it was under water.

I was instructed to go home and get 3 to 5 hours rest after the procedure. I couldn't sleep so I laid in bed with my eyes closed and listened to my ipod. This is the only time I felt any discomfort. After about three hours, my eyes felt pretty irritated and I was tearing up like crazy. Of course, I had eye shields on and they were fogging up with all of the moisture. I got up for a little while and removed the shields. It dawned, in between the tears, on me that I could see really well and I wasn't wearing glasses. My left eye was definitely better than my right eye. My right eye is a little blurry at mid/close distance and I would have a little difficulty reading if I were to use it alone.

As a point of reference, I started at about a 20/200 level in both eyes. At my one day follow up, I tested 20/15 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right eye. The doctor said everything looks good. I have been using the drops (vigamox and econopred), as instructed. I've been adding in lubricating tear drops in between even though my eyes don't feel dry at all. I do notice a bit of glare around streetlights or car headlights at night. It's not so bad that I couldn't drive. I think it'll get better seeing as it's only been 48 hours since my procedure.

As you can imagine, I'm quite happy with the results so far. If you have any specific questions about something I didn't address, let me know.

Tbone
tbone

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:01 am

Keep us informed of your progress. At 48 hours, things sound very good.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tbone » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:00 am

Thought I'd give an update:

It's been three weeks as of today since my LASIK. I've had a couple of doctor visits and everything seems to be going well. I can read the 20/20 line pretty well with both eyes My left eye is still definitely better than my right. The right is a little blurry, but I can read the letters on the 20/20 line. For some reason, they didn't open up the 20/15 line for me to try and I didn't ask. I think I could have done it with my left eye. My right eye maybe not.

The halos I saw around headlight/streetlights at night have diminished greatly. So that's good.

My eyes are somewhat on the dry side, more so in the last week. I notice it especially first thing in the morning when I wake up. They really feel dry and a little itchy/sore. A couple of drops seem to resolve it though. I haven't used the eye gel at bedtime yet, but may give it a try. My eyes can get a little dry during the day too. I'll notice it more while working on the computer. I don't really have much discomfort with it, but I'm aware of this dry feeling. I do carry Refresh vials with me just in case. I used one today at work as a case in point.

My right eye is still pretty blurry for up close work. I can read what I'm typing now, but it's blurry if I try to read it with only my right eye. The left eye is perfect close and far. I know I'm slightly presbyopic and was aware of this prior to the surgery, so I'm not shocked. It is curious how each eye is behaving differently though.
tbone

Postby johnson1615 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:41 pm

I am 4 weeks post-op and I know what you mean about each eye behaving differently! It seems to me like they are 2 kids and neither will cooperate at times. One eye is slightly weaker than the other.
They are better every day.
I find that they do better when I do use the gel at night. I believe my vision is crisper the next day!
johnson1615

Postby amilli » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:41 pm

What gel are you using at night? Is it preservative free?
amilli

Postby LasikExpert » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:19 pm

Because of the formulation, gels and ointments do not use problematic preservatives.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby johnson1615 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:17 pm

I was using Bausch and Lomb Nighttime. I stopped a couple of days ago and so far so good. Vision is still sharp. When I am outside a lot in the wind or they feel dry I will still use at night.
johnson1615

Return to Just Had It