PRK: Two Weeks Ago, So Far So Good

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

PRK: Two Weeks Ago, So Far So Good

Postby nemozob » Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:28 pm

I had read a few posts from people requesting good experiences so I thought I'd add mine to the mix. So far my PRK experience has been mostly positive and I think (hope) I'm on the road to a good final result. Prior to surgery I was about -6.25 in both eyes.

I had the surgery around noon on a Saturday two weeks ago. A few hours afterward, once the surgical numbing wore off, I was in what I would describe as pretty significant pain. It felt like there were twigs in my eyes and even after two Vacadins, two Tylenol PMs and the doctor prescribed numbing drops, I couldn't get much relief. I certainly don't regret the operation descriptions of 'mild discomfort' did not apply to me. But after maybe four hours it was far more manageable.

The remainder of that day and the next one I spend mostly in bed. My vision wasn't good enough to watch TV so I took the pain medication to relax and listened to audio books.

I took off Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday from work. It wasn't until Tuesday (3 days out) before I could start using my computer in any efficient way. I bumped up the font size and was able to send some emails. I worked from home on Wednesday on and off but probably could have gone into the office.

I wasn't able to get the bandage contacts taken out on Wednesday and had to wait until the following Tuesday because of scheduling conflicts. My vision had steadily improved everyday and was seeing 20/20 at the office the day the contacts came out (10 days out). Though I would add there was some ghosting and blurring that affected the overall vision. But at this point I was pretty happy.

For whatever reason, and I would be interested if anyone has had this experience, my vision was noticeably worse in the hours after the bandage contacts came out and there was some discomfort when rolling my eyes with my eyelids closed. It was similar to the discomfort in the days following the surgery. I think it has to do with the way the cells grow back under the bandage contact, that they aren't completely smooth yet, but I'm not sure about that.

It has now been two weeks and my vision is probably hovering at 85% of where I was before surgery with glasses. It's morning now and my farsighted vision is pretty good in daylight with only a slight difference between the eyes. My close up vision -- say, 18" away from my computer screen -- is not quite as good, maybe at 80% of where it should be (it was better before the bandage contact came out), and it tends to fluctuate. I drove last night and I could tell I had a way to go, with noticeable halos and ghosting.

So I'm trying to be patient and hope it continually improves. I'll add to this post in a few weeks.
nemozob

Re: PRK: Two Weeks Ago, So Far So Good

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:58 pm

nemozob wrote:For whatever reason, and I would be interested if anyone has had this experience, my vision was noticeably worse in the hours after the bandage contacts came out and there was some discomfort when rolling my eyes with my eyelids closed. It was similar to the discomfort in the days following the surgery. I think it has to do with the way the cells grow back under the bandage contact, that they aren't completely smooth yet, but I'm not sure about that.

You have deduced the situation precisely. Removal of the contact lens can also disrupt the new epithelial cells. It is reasonable to expect improvement.

Keep us informed.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Slowly Improving

Postby nemozob » Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:07 pm

It's been about two weeks since my last post and thought I would add a little update.

My vision is improving slowly. Day to day it's difficult to see any change but I can tell, especially in my right eye (which was lagging behind a bit), that it's getting better since the last time I posted.

My vision is pretty good, almost there, in bright daylight. There's still a little bit of ghosting but I'm probably able to read outdoor street signs at 20/20. Seeing the computer screen is almost back to normal and is definitely improved since my last post.

As lighting conditions get dimmer I can tell that I still have a ways to go. The differences between my eyes are more pronounced and the ghosting/halos get more noticeable. I'm mildly concerned that my right eye won't catch up but from what I've read it's normal for eyes to heal at different rates.

I know my eyes are dry but it doesn't cause any discomfort or cause me to think about it. I use the artificial drops from time to time and immediately after my vision improves considerably, so it seems like once my eyes start producing more moisture that will help the vision.

Anyway, aside from the terrible first day of pain, it's been going well and would recommend this to anyone who is frustrated with glasses/contacts.
nemozob

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Mar 25, 2007 11:45 pm

Please keep us informed of your progress. Many people considering PRK or its cousins LASEK and Epi-Lasik will be interested to know of your progress.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby ksoldan » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:41 pm

nemozob

Did you have mitocyin C used during your procedure? I see that your prescription is very similar to mine and I'm scheduled for surgery next Thrusday with PRK also. I was just wondering if you saw any hazing?

Also how many days after surgery did you feel confident enough too drive? I know everyone is different but I'm trying to make an educated guess as too how ong I will need to rely on others and how to handle work.

How are you doing now? Any side effects? Hope all is well. THanks

K
ksoldan

Postby nemozob » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:46 am

It's now been 8 weeks since I had the surgery and I would describe my overall vision as excellent. My right eye has caught up to my left in terms of focus and I have only slight halos around lights at night and sometimes I don't even notice it.

My eyes are probably still a little dry but I don't notice it anymore. It wasn't much of an issue for me anyway.

One very odd side effect, at least I guess it's a side effect, is that if I hold a book a little too close to my eyes I have a little trouble moving from word to word, as if it takes a fraction of a second to focus. If I move the book further away, more than 12" or so, then it is easier to read. Not sure if that will go away or not but it's pretty minor.

But other than that the vision is great.

ksoldan wrote:nemozob

Did you have mitocyin C used during your procedure? I see that your prescription is very similar to mine and I'm scheduled for surgery next Thrusday with PRK also. I was just wondering if you saw any hazing?

Also how many days after surgery did you feel confident enough too drive? I know everyone is different but I'm trying to make an educated guess as too how ong I will need to rely on others and how to handle work.

How are you doing now? Any side effects? Hope all is well. THanks

K

I just noticed these questions. I imagine by now you've had the surgery but in case you haven't or someone else is interested I'll answer them.

I didn't have mitocyin C or any other vitamins/supplements before/during/after the procedure. I did ask my doctor about using them but he didn't think it made any difference.

I did experience haziness/ghosting but that is mostly gone. I'd say that by 6 weeks out the vast majority of the side effects were either gone or very minimal.

It took me probably 6 days before I felt confident to drive, though night driving took another week or so since ghosting/halos was pretty noticeable and distracting. I was able to use my computer efficiently maybe 5 days out and it just got better as the weeks past.
nemozob

Postby LasikExpert » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:54 am

You may want to read about eye strain after Lasik to learn what may be causing your near vision difficulties.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Nearly 1 year after surgery

Postby nemozob » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:47 pm

So it's been about 11 months and I would describe my overall vision as great. Daylight vision is sharp and clear. Night vision I would say is very good, although I do experience slight halos around lights and reading under low lighting conditions is a little more difficult than before.

The only other side effect has been occasional dry eyes in the morning, similar in feel to the slight scratchiness I experienced in the weeks following the procedure. But I would describe this as mild and it goes away within an hour.

It's been a very positive experience for me and would do it again without hesitation.
nemozob

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:06 am

Congrats on your 20/Happy outcome! Thanks for letting everyone know.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It