Left Eye Progessing Better

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Left Eye Progessing Better

Postby spire12 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:11 pm

I have a couple questions...

I am 9 days post PRK and very happy with the results so far. Discomfort was limited to days 2 and 3 and have been progessively getting better. My vision is quite crisp in the mid (5-15ft) range.

Going into the PRK my right eye was the dominant eye and saw sig better 20/40 and about 20/60 in the left without glasses)

my correction was less than -3 in both eyes. But, My left eye seems to be pregressing much better.

The left eye sees very crisp when well lubricated and the right seems to be a bit behind, especially with computer work. Is this normal?

Also, i caught myself rubbing my eyes in my sleep on day 2 and 3.. could this have caused any negative long-term effects??

my last question is.. does the prescription determined in the pre-op effect the actual correction of eyes?? (i.e. I was not comfortable with the amount of 'tweaking' made to my prescription while looking at the chart) could this effect the quality of my overall outcome??

thanks for the insight!

-mike
spire12

Re: Left Eye Progessing Better

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:23 pm

spire12 wrote:The left eye sees very crisp when well lubricated and the right seems to be a bit behind, especially with computer work. Is this normal?

It is very common for one eye to heal at a different rate than the other, especially after a surface ablation technique like PRK, LASEK, or Epi-Lasik.

spire12 wrote:Also, i caught myself rubbing my eyes in my sleep on day 2 and 3.. could this have caused any negative long-term effects??

Not at all likely. If you had caused damage you would probably have known immediately by the pain. Be sure to let your doctor know at the next exam so the eye can be checked. If you experience any sudden degradation in vision quality, report to your doctor as soon as convenient.

spire12 wrote:does the prescription determined in the pre-op effect the actual correction of eyes?? (i.e. I was not comfortable with the amount of 'tweaking' made to my prescription while looking at the chart) could this effect the quality of my overall outcome??

Perhaps yes. The correction with a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) is used to help determine the final target for surgery. If the surgery is wavefront-guided, the wavefront diagnostic results will also be used. An advantage of a refraction is that the patient is describing what is subjectively the best vision. Sometimes perfect optics are not what the patient actually prefers. Your doctor would have used that information to adjust the treatment plan.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It