Sharp Pains in eye?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Sharp Pains in eye?

Postby Terabethia » Wed Mar 21, 2007 1:32 pm

I had my lasik done 5 days ago, and so far things seem to be progressing okay. My best day was actually the day after the surgery, I could see everything perfectly and had no problems at all. But now I have a new thing come up, so I thought I would ask here.

My left eye was pretty bruised after the surgery, and still has some red bruising around it. When I went back for my 1 day follow up, they said that the left eye was perfectly fine, but my right eye was inflammed (looks can be deceiving, huh?!?!) Anyways, starting yesterday I would get this little sharp pain in the left eye every 20-30 minutes. It is sorta like the feeling you get it you get poked in the eye, only it seems to be coming from behind the eye. Now this morning, the eye feels really sore, and the sharp pains are happening every 3-5 minutes. In case it helps, I do spend a lot of time on the computer, both all day at work, and a lot at home. So maybe it's just that my eyes are being strained too much??

Now, realistically I understand that I just had my eyes cut apart and lasered 5 days ago, and there is a long healing process. But I haven't read anything about this sort of discomfortant so I am trying to understand if this is normal. I took some Advil this morning, but an hour later it hasn't seemed to help. I have a follow up appt. on Friday afternoon and the doctor is an hour away, so if this is normal and to be expected then I will certaintly wait and discuss it with him on Friday. Otherwise, I am concerned that maybe there is a problem with the flap and I should have it looked at asap.

Thanks in advance for any help or advise!
Terabethia

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:37 pm

You need to contact your doctor's office and describe your symptoms. What you describe is not "normal", but does occur and is often related to temporarily induced Lasik dry eye problems. Computer use commonly exacerbates dry eye problems because we do not blink our eyes often enough.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Terabethia » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks for the advise. I did contact the doctor and went in for a checkup just in case. Good news is that the eyes look good and the flaps are healing nicely, which is what I was mostly concerned with.

She asked if I had been sick, and sure enough, I did seem to come down with a minor cold over the weekend. I didn't think anything of it, but she said that it's possible that my sinus's are putting pressure on my eyes and recommended that I take Tylenol Sinus and see if that helps. So far, I can't really say that it has, but it's only been a few hours.

I have another follow up appt. on Friday, so I will let everyone know how it goes.
Terabethia

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:06 am

People often forget that the eyes are connected to the sinus, which is connected to the throat, which is connected to...
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It