prk experience

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

prk experience

Postby tiggy » Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:58 am

Hi,
Just decided to give a history of my PRK experience with an update.

I had PRK 1/12/07. I am now 9 weeks post op. My vision was

OD -7.00 + 3.00x 105
OS -7.75 + 2.75 x 90
This is from a refraction I had last year- not from the doctor who did my PRK. I think the astigmatism was under estimated because I never liked wearing the glasses I had filled with this refraction. My previous refraction was something like 3.25 or 3.50 for the right eye.

I am now 20/20 in my left eye and somewhere near 20/40 in my right eye. I had 1.5 diopters (?) of astigmatism in the right eye at my visit 3 weeks ago. My next visit is in May. Since reading several PRK stories on the D'Eyealogue website where healing took over 4-6 months for best vision I am prepared to hang in there for awhile before giving up on the right eye.

I do have some star bursting and halos at night. But, I had this before with glasses due to my astigmatism correction. Over all it is pretty similar. The only issue I still struggle with is that light can cause a glaring or washing out of my vision. For example whenI am in a conference room with overhead recessed lighting and i am looking a presentation on a screen- the over head light interfers with my vision on the screen. Does that make sense?
Or when sunlight floods through a window and I want to look parallel to the window at another person- there is a glare. It's not terrible just annoying andi can usually find a way to deal with it. I am guessing this might be related to the residual astigmatism?

My vision now is pretty good for moving around outside. I have the most trouble with mid range vision in lower light. And, of course, being over 40 I now need reading glasses- but, heck I was headed there anyways :?
Overall I am happy with how things turned out even if I do opt for further correction for my right eye.

It is AMAZING to be able to see with out glasses! I have been very near sighted since kindergarden. I even hid it from everyone until after 1st grade by devising strategies to get around based on maps in my head and feeling for boundaries in the class room etc.

The dry eye is improving slowly and with it my vision is getting better. Dry eyes were an issue before PRK so I was already well acquainted with the DRY EYE ZONE webpage. In fact, I thought I was not a candidate for PRK or LASIK until recently due to dry eyes and Meibomian Gland Dysfunction probably due to blepharitis. Once it was under control things really improved fast.
I do a lid scrub with baby shampoo in the evening and use wet heat twice a day to keep my MG open and flowing. I also manually massage them 1x a day after steaming my face.

Currently I am weaning off the FML drops (2x daily). My favorite non rxn eye drops have changed as my eyes improve. I used to use alot of Systane and Refresh liquid gel. Now I prefer Refresh plus, TheraTears Advanced with Refresh Liquid gel at night. Sometimes I combine TheraTears Advanced with Soothe (one before the other) before bed.
When I first had surgery it was winter and a humidifier was a life saver.

Thank you all for sharing your stories and solutions to coping during the healing period.

Tigs
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:30 am

Keep us up to date on your progress.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin