flaxssed oil vs. theratears nutrition

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

flaxssed oil vs. theratears nutrition

Postby etess » Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:22 pm

Glenn,
I am taking 4 capsules/day of TheraTears Nutrition. This includes 1000 mg of flaxseed oil. Is this enough? I have read on some posts that people are taking 3000 mg of flaxseed/day. Should I switch to simple flaxseed oil capsules from TheraTears Nutrition?

Thanks,
etess
etess

Postby tiggy » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:51 pm

Hi etess,

The liquid flaxseed oil is much better than the capsules. And it doesn't taste bad- nutty. You can put it in juice or on a salad if you like. I have heard that the most idea whay to get all the good stuff in flaxseed is the grid up the seeds fresh daily and take them immediately. I think a coffee grinder can be used.

I haven't taken the theratears nutrition supplements so I can't comment on those.

My eyes do feel much better when I take the flaxseed oil for more than a week. Usually I take 2 tsp 2x a day. It takes a few weeks to get resuslts so keep up with it.
And let us know if it works for you.

Tigs
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:45 pm

Theratears provides much more than just flax seed oil. If Theratears are helpful, there would be no reason to discontinue.

An approved dosage of flax seed oil for dry eye symptoms does not exist. Like many supplements, it is a matter of trial and error. Too much oil and you can have digestive problems. Too little and you get no improvement.

Keep in mind that if your dry eyes do not relate to an inferior lipid layer, flax seed oil may provide no relief.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby tiggy » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:51 am

Hi Glenn!

My dry has to do with MGD. So the flaxseed is great for me. Soothe tears are ok too. I have plenty of tears they just don't hang around on my big myopic eyes.

I also take B vitamins, Vit C, and evening primrose oil.

Keep us posted on how it goes, etess.

Tigs
tiggy

Postby etess » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:09 am

Thanks! I was doing better...and now feel worse again. Who knows! It could be because I came down with a virus and didn't take any TheraTears for a few days. Or, it could be allergies. I've never had issues with allergies before...so who knows...maybe I'm just still dealing with lasik recovery. I have to say that the last two days have been very hard.

Twiggy...are you able to wear makeup? I still am not b/c I am putting in drops so often. I don't want to aggravate my eyes by wearing makeup....so I STILL don't feel good.

I am now regretting getting the surgery. Trying to be patient....:-)

Glenn...can doctors determine the cause of dry eye? Is there a way that they can tell if I have problems with the quantity and/or quality?

Thanks!
etess
etess

Postby tiggy » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:13 am

Hi etess-

Yes, I can wear make up. I didn't wear it for the first 2 weeks because the doctor told me not to. I still put in drops every two hours.

I have found that mineral make up (www.everydayminerals.com) stays on very nicely if you pat the excess eye drops away. I also use a kleenex or paper towel folded to dab the edge of my eyelids after placing drops in.

My mascara isn't waterproof- its Almay brand- and I don't have much trouble with it. However I only use it on my upperlashes.

Recently, I got an irritation on my cornea after a night of celebrating a friend's thesis defense. My doc doesn't feel it was caused by dehydration (my theory) from drinking but, an allergic reaction to bacteria so I have to up the lid hygiene.

After reviewing my lid routine and makeup I think a concealer I was using may not be a good idea. I was using a cream concealer form a tube on my upper lid. I have stopped that and now use mineral makeup or Physcian's Formual Baked eyes shadow applied with a clean brush. I am mentioning this because I think that when our eyes are dry we are more vunerable to infection etc.....
I now use mineral powder makeup applied with brushes. The brushes are cleaned every other day with baby shampoo.

etess- I am sorry you are struggling with dry eye. Usually it is controllable and you will find the right mix that helps. Do you have a humidifier?

Have you checked out the Dry Eye Zone website for ideas? www.DryEyeZone.com

Hang in there- this will get better.
I had a marginal dry eye problem before surgery so I have been through this before. It takes time for your eyes to repond to treatments. So pick a routine and stick with it for awhile.

And remember we are still in the healing process!!

Hugs-
Tigs

Note: This post was edited to change an external link.
Last edited by tiggy on Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiggy

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:26 am

etess wrote:Glenn...can doctors determine the cause of dry eye? Is there a way that they can tell if I have problems with the quantity and/or quality?

There are several tests to measure the quantity of tears and the quality of tears with reasonable accuracy.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby etess » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:15 am

Hi Tigs!

Thanks! Before lasik, I was using bare minerals. I love it...so at least I am used to the mineral makeup! :-) Maybe I'll try this week. I'm scared to put on makeup in the morning and go to work...for fear of feeling uncomfortbable after putting in drops so often.

Before lasik, I had moderate dry eye. However, I only put drops in 2x day....first thing in the am and last thing at night. I almost always felt my upper lids...but learned to deal with it. The first thing I would do when I came home from work would be to wash off my eye makeup.

Gosh...as I write this...I suffered more than I remember. Maybe I am not that much worse off now?! Anyway...I can recall deciding not to put in drops during the day when I wore makeup b/c they made my eyes feel worse. I don't know how to explain it. The drops didn't burn...and I'm sure I could have used a tissue to prevent the messiness. I think I just got to a point where it was easier to not THINK about it. When you put the drops in...you think about how the eye feels. I guess it was easier for me to go throughout the day trying not to think about the dryness.

I am a high school teacher. I tell my students that if they see me with my eyes closed it doesn't mean I'm tired. I close my eyes and roll them to get them moist. If I don't tell them this up front...they may think I'm going to sleep! haha

This has been an issue for me for YEARS! In fact, the first time I went to an eye doctor for dry eyes was 1994. I will never forget...the doctor said that my birth control may be contributing to my dry eyes. So...I went off the birth control. And...1 month later...I got pregnant. :-) Funny...because my eye doctor recently told me that birth control can cause dry eyes...and my immediate reaction was..."I'm not going off the pill!" haha

So...sorry for this long post. I appreciate everyone who has been responding to me. I'm hanging...thanks to all of you.

I keep going back and forth on whether or not I made the right decision to get lasik. It's only been 5 weeks....and I have read some other posts from people that are 6 months out and still seeing improvements. I'm trying to stay patient. :-)

etess
etess

Postby tiggy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:39 am

etess,

I am suprised your doctor chose Lasik rather than PRK. I had PRK becuase of modest dry eye. I guess your eyes were doing well when he examined them? Either way I am sure if your eyes had dry spots due to lack of tears he would NOT have done the Lasik. Odds are your eyes are still healing from the surgery and will improve significantly in a few months.

Have you tried steaming your eye lids to help the oil glands flow properly?
It can really help if your dry eye is caused by blocked oil glands. The oil is important in helping the tears stick around.

You are a brave woman to teach high school! I have 3 teens and boy are they challenging!

All the best-
Tigs
tiggy

Postby etess » Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:45 am

Eventhough I felt the dryness...the doctors (I went for a 2nd opinion) said that they could not tell that I was dry by looking at the eye. I didn't have dry spots. They only knew I was dry b/c of my descriptions of the feeling...and schimmer test.

Do your schimmer reading before surgery? And do you know what it is now?

On one of my original posts, I said that my schimmer was 10. I was wrong! My schimmer was 4 and 5 in each eye. The 10 was from a different test..."zone quick". In both tests, I was at the cutoff point...

One doctor did mention and recommend prk instead. But this was less than one week before surgery...and I just went with the lasik.

Oh...forgot to answer one of your other questions...yes...I use a humidfier.

How do you know that you have problems with your glands? Is there a certain test? Do you also have problems with tear production? Do you use restasis?

:-)
etess

Postby tiggy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:14 am

Hi etess,

My TBU (tear break up) time was 3 and 5 seconds when they did my first exam. My preop was about 5 and 7. So they could see that my tears were breaking up quickly. My Schimmers test was good- but, I had that done several years ago when they diagnosed the MGD (meiobenam gland dysfunction).
I was trying to wear RGP lenses at the time.

I think the Tear Break Up test requires a 10 seconds time as a cut off for Lasik.

In fact, I didn't even think I was a candidate for eye surgery until one time I when to my eye doctor after we got the MGD under control. My eyes improved alot that year. He mentioned that it was an option- and he does not do the surgeries- in fact, he tends to discourage it. His focus in soft contact lens research.

Anyhow- I have been religiously washing my lids (baby shampoo or water) and applying heat compresses 2x a day for years. The heat is the most helpful for me. You can even make a rice baggies with a tube sock and microwave it to apply heat to your eyes. It seems to matter that you at least have heat on your eyes for long enough make a difference- 2-5 minutes depending on where you read.

I can actually see the oil glands on my lower lid when they express oil. and I can feel the oil on my eyes when I manipulate my lid margins to clear the glands. They blur for a minute.

It sounds like you might not by making alot of tears. Make sure you drink alot of water during the day and stay hydrated. Odds are your eyes will improve in a few months after the nerves have healed. then you will have the same amountof dry eye as previously. Have you tried Refresh liquid gel. It is a great tear for the days or nights your eyes are really drying out.

all the best-
Tigs
tiggy

Postby etess » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:13 am

Thanks Twiggy...

Still haven't worn makeup...but yesterday my eyes felt pretty good. Today...not so good. Very itchy in the inner part (the crease by my nose). I guess this is b/c of the dryness. I am not allergic to anything...but it feels like an allergy...

I'm going to ask my doctor in two weeks to do a TBU and another zone quick test. I'm curious if I'm worse...or if it's in my mind. I tend to let my mind dwell on things.

I'm using this discomfort/healing time to try to change my overall thinking on my health. Looking at me....one would probably think I am healthy. However, although I haven't had any real dibilitating illnesses, I am one of those people who feels sick (headache, stomach, bodyaches, .... EVERYDAY). It's almost like I am programmed to focus on my ailments. My husband had cancer when he was in his 20's (before I met him)....and he is frustrated with my constant complaining. I AM TOO! I mean...really! I don't have a horrible disease like some of my loved ones are struggling with. Makes me feel horrible to even talk about my eye discomfort.

Anyway...I am trying to change my thinking...trying to focus on the what I am grateful for and what I have. I spend way too much energy focusing on the pain.

:)
etess

Postby etess » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:17 am

tiggy...sorry I wrote Twiggy...:-)
etess

Postby tiggy » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:39 am

Etess,
Don't stress!
Hey that rhymes!

It's because we are over 30!! Women just are complicated critters and once we get near to 40 our bodies are confusing. I wish I had an easy answer. I find that excercising, staying in touch with friend who can make me laugh and eating right really does help- ALOT! I don't really want to exercise but, even a walk helps refocus me.

So does a nice hot bath.....ahhhh. Right after my surgery I took a medication to help me sleep at night. It was the anxiety that got to me. The waiting process. I really think anxiety is very high in our society as a whole right now.

Hugs-

Tigs
tiggy

Postby mowchowch » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:19 pm

I agree that exercise helps. I get aches,pains and fatigue similar to what you describe, etess. I feel much better if I keep with an exercise routine. And it really helps keep the spirits boosted during this recovery time. I know things can get to be discouraging waiting for improved vision. Hopefully months down the line we will be explaining on here how things have gotten better with our eyes. And it'll be good to be telling others that is just takes time...and not to give up hope.
mowchowch

Next

Return to Just Had It