One eye done

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

One eye done

Postby Marcella » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:46 am

I'm planning to have monovision, and yesterday I had LASIK on my right near-vision eye so I can evaluate how well that works for me before having the dominant left eye done for distance. The procedure itself was quite an interesting experience--very psychedelic. The treated eye was myopic and astigmatic (O.D. -475 -325 21 +225). Today at my followup exam of my right eye I noticed that the letters on the chart were often appearing double--something that's never happened to me in all my years of eye exams. They kept persisting as double--when the technician said "Which is clearer--this or this?" I would see crisper double images. Does this suggest an irregularity that might affect my general vision? I haven't noticed any double vision elsewhere. When I read with just my right eye open I do not see double. But the exam was such a strange experience that I'm a bit worried.
Thanks--as always
Marcella

Postby Marcella » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:00 am

Hmm...well I'm now three days post op and am noticing that with only my treated (right) eye open, I see double /ghosting on the computer screen. It doesn't happen with my untreated left eye or both eyes open. And the doubling still doesn't happen elsewhere--not with hardcopy text, for example.

Could this have an thing to do with letters on illumined backbrounds? I ask because it's only occurred on my computer monitor and when reading the illumined eye chart in a darkened room. The eye chart was much more distinctly double though. The monitor is more like blurry ghosting.

Perhaps the double vision at my exam is why my surgeon suddenly encouraged me to try out my right eye near vision for a week before opting to wipe out my superior left eye near vision for distance correction.

yowza
Marcella

Postby Marcella » Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:51 pm

Hallo again Glenn

I've read your excellenet article on pupil size. I very much appreciate the technical detail you provide in your articles. So many similar resources are "dumbed down" for the patient.

I wanted to mention that my Dr. said that I do not have large pupils, as that may be relevant to my ghosting problem described above. I had tradiitonal LASIK with Intralase on my right eye. Both my near and distance vision in that eye is much improved. The surgeon said she'd brought me from 7 to 2 (I assume that's some combination of sphere and cylinder diopters.)

The double vision seems to be a single image up and to the right that you describe elsewhere as typical of regular astigmatism. What worries me is that the technician seemed unable to resolve the error on the phoropter. She kept asking "Do you still see the double image?" as she changed the lenses. I did --the only change was that the "ghost" letters became higher and higher contrast until they were as sharp as the "real" iletters. This happened toward the end of the exam. Might this mean that a simple refractive error isn't causing the doubling?

I've also noticed a halo around lights at night with my LASIKed eye. I don't believe I have dry eye (the doc said she didn't see any) but I am taking the drops for dry eye that are in my take- home kit. I'm four days post op. Should I expect this or the doubling to resolve with healing?

Oy. Sorry--I know I've gone on more than enough about this problem. Thank you. I'd be lost without this site.
Marcella

Return to Just Had It