Second Opinion

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Second Opinion

Postby JPD » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:25 am

A week from today will mark two months post op for me. I have had a few issues since day one that have not improved at all over the 8 weeks. I won't detail any of the issues as they are irrelevent to my question. A week from today I am seriously considering getting a second opinion regarding my problems, and I even have a doctor picked out. I am not completely satisfied with the post op care that I'm getting from my doctor. I can't exactly explain why, let's call it my gut feeling, but I feel that I'm not really getting advice customized to my specific issues, but rather just standard "checklist" advice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking for reasons to fault my doctor. What I really want is a third party confirmation that my doctor is handeling everything corretly. I really hope they are.

Here are my questions:

Will another doctor even give me a second opinion post op?

Is it acceptable practice for a doctor to exam, and give second opinion advice to someone else's patient after being only two months post op? Or will I be told I should wait until 6 months or some other time frame?

When being examined should I just explain my problems and then get the doctors opinion, or should I also outline all the advice I've gotten from my doctor and have him evaluate that as well? Maybe even try to get the doctors professional opinion of my doctor (Even though I don't think any doctor would actually do that, considering it unprofessional)?

Should I notify my doctor that I am seeking a second opinion, or just keep that between myself and the doctor who provides the second opinion?

Thanks.
JPD
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:09 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Second Opinion

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:55 pm

JPD wrote:Will another doctor even give me a second opinion post op?


Undoubtedly yes. Corneal specialists are often sought to verify and treat issues after Lasik and similar laser eye surgery.

JPD wrote:Is it acceptable practice for a doctor to exam, and give second opinion advice to someone else's patient after being only two months post op? Or will I be told I should wait until 6 months or some other time frame?


The time to get a second opinion is when you are uncertain if your care is appropriate or the doctor acknowledges that the concerns are beyond his or her abilities. That can be postop one hour, two weeks, six months, whenever.

JPD wrote:When being examined should I just explain my problems and then get the doctors opinion, or should I also outline all the advice I've gotten from my doctor and have him evaluate that as well?


Don't hold back anything. Give the second opinion doctor all the details you are able. The second opinion doctor will consider them and undoubtedly have a better understanding of your current doctor's plan of action.

JPD wrote:Maybe even try to get the doctors professional opinion of my doctor (Even though I don't think any doctor would actually do that, considering it unprofessional)?


It is not necessarily unprofessional, but it can be opening the second doctor up for trouble from the first doctor. You will undoubtedly get a feeling for the second doctor's opinion about the first doctor without pointedly asking.

JPD wrote:Should I notify my doctor that I am seeking a second opinion, or just keep that between myself and the doctor who provides the second opinion?


I personally believe that not only should you tell a cooperative primary doctor that you would like a second opinion, ask the primary doctor for a recommendation for a second opinion. Additionally, your second opinion doctor as a matter of professional courtesy should notify your primary doctor of his/her findings in a written report.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin
 
Posts: 3309
Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 6:43 am
Location: California


Return to Just Had It

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests