Question on Eye Drops

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Question on Eye Drops

Postby amilli » Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:58 pm

Glenn I'm 5 weeks post op and have been using preservative free single dose eye drops. My dry eye is bad and impacts my vision and causes my eyes to burn, etc. I've had temp punctal plugs put in and I'm using preservative free drops every 15 minutes or so and my better vision only last for 1 -2 minutes post drops. I've tried Bion Tears, Refresh Plus, Theratears and Systane all with similar results give or take incremental blurriness. I tried Genteal Lubricant Eye Gel (preservative free in eye) for severe dry eye last night and this morning and it works better. I find I only need to apply every 1 -2 hours and my improved vision last during that time with minimal blurriness. I read in another of your responses that you should stick to preservative free not preservative free in eye but that gels and ointments don't have the same issues as preservative drops. Can you tell me if the Genteal Gel has the type of preservative that can cause problems or are they safer to use because they are a Gel? I don't want to do any harm as I've been having a pretty hard time already.
amilli

Postby JPD » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:28 pm

I know I'm no substitute for Glenn, but since it looks like he's taking a break from the message boards, I'll try and give some advice. You sound to have much dryer eyes then me, but this should still be able to answer your question. If you're looking for preservative free vials of drops that are for moderate to severe dry eyes, both Theratears liquidgel, and Refresh Celluvisc are very good choices. Both have the same active ingredient as a lubricant, 1% Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium, so both have very similar outcomes. By way of comparision, Refresh plus and the regular Theratears only have .5% Carboxymethylcellulose Sodium, so both these drops are twice as powerful. Due to a slightly different formula on the Inactive ingredients, The Refresh Celluvisc is thicker and probably lasts a little longer. But the Theratears liquidgel is easier to apply and absorbs quicker. Theratears is also cheaper(at least where I live). Much like you, I was using Systane every 30 minutes, but clear vision only lasted a good 1-2 minutes. My doctor recommended I use Refresh Celluvisc in addition to Systane. I'm to the point now where I'm using the Celluvisc almost exclusively because the effect lasts me a good 30-45 minutes now. I have also used the Theratears liquidgel and sometimes switch between the two. Both seem good, and I've listed the advantages of each that I have found. As far as the Genteal Gel goes, I don't know anything about it, but if it doesn't come in individual vials then they are not true preservative free drops.

One last thing, both of these drops, especially the Refresh Celluvisc are much thicker then the bottle of Genteal for severe dry eye(I have tried those also), but both also work better. Just to let you know if you use these you're in for a good 2-3 minutes of blurry vision as your eyes absorb the drops.

Hope this is helpful.
Last edited by JPD on Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JPD

Postby amilli » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Thanks, that's helpful and I'll try them. I'm willing to try anything at this point! Does anyone have experience with the GenTeal Gel also?
amilli

Postby 2ndguessing » Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:07 pm

Hi. I'm 6 months post op from first surgery and 3 months post op from enhancement and I'm suffering from pretty bad dry eyes. I've tried most of the products on the market and although the thicker drops last longer I am unable to get rid of the blur they cause so I have been using Walmarts brand of Refresh Plus individual vials when I need to see clearly. I am also using the prescription eye drop Restasis but so far haven't really had much if any improvement after 1 month of use. I also have my lower tear ducts plugged. At night I use the Genteal Gel and find it feels the most refreshing of anything but again it causes a blur that won't go away for me but at night that isn't an issue. Hopefully this dry eye problem will go away soon because I'm tired of using drops 2-5 times every waking hour to keep my vision clear and my eyes from burning. Good luck...
2ndguessing

Postby Betty39 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 4:16 am

I LOVE Genteal Gel. I am not sure if you should use it early after surgery though. Where is Glen? Anyway, I use it at night and I can go all night now without needing to apply more. And if I'm having a bad day I will use it on my lunch break and my eyes feel better the rest of the day. It blurs my eyes for about 5 minutes so that is why I only use it at night or on a break. But it's goooood stuff!
Betty39

Postby amilli » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:51 pm

Thanks all! I tried the preservative free Refresh Celluvisc and it works pretty well. Not as great as Genteal Gel, but since I'm early on in healing I've been trying to stick to that since I'm not sure if the gel is harmful due to the fact that it isn't preservative free. If I have a really bad dry eye bout, I use it and then go back to the Celluvisc. I've been doing that for about 2-3 days and my vision has really improved and if I'm religious about the Celluvisc, it stays pretty good. I'm actually starting to see in a way that is livable and hopefully finding a lubricating regime that works may aid healing and vision improvement. I'm hopeful that over time the dry eye thing resolves or at least gets to a level where I only need to add drops a few times a day vs. every 1/2 hour. I didn't have any dry eye problems prior to surgery, in fact I wore contacts ~16 hours a day with no issues at all. So, I'm hoping this is temporary until my eyes heal. But I guess that is what everyone is hoping. I truly appreciate the advice and responses. It helps to know you are not alone and the pointers have really helped.
amilli

Postby JPD » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:17 pm

Just curious, are you using other drops in addition to Refresh Celluvisc? The reason I ask is becuase in my experience, if I was to use Celluvisc and then a little bit later use Sytane, the Systane would actually dilute the Celluvisc and kind of wash it out of my eyes. Whereas if I was to just stick with using just Celluvics every time, then it would build up in my eyes and that's how I got the best results. I now only use Systane sparingly, and it seems if I use only Celluvisc over and over again I really notice nice results.
JPD

Postby amilli » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:37 pm

JPD, same here. If I use other drops after Celluvisc, my vision is not as good. Also, the one down side is that after a while my eyes get very "sticky", so I try to use a very small drop each time. I also notice that if I don't stick to small drops, if excess spills over the eye it crusts up around the eye and I need to wipe it off. Sometimes when I wake up, my eyelashes are stuck together due to this.
amilli

Postby amilli » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:45 pm

Also, I've been trying Refresh Endura as well which is still preservative free, but thinner than Celluvisc, with no build up on the outside of the eye. However, after putting it in, my vision is blurry for longer than with Celluvisc and the vision is not as good. I find my eyes to be most dry and/or have the worst vision in the a.m. until about 10/11 a.m. and then again in the p.m. after 5, so I've been trying the Endura during the time when they are better e.g. mid day and that works pretty well also.
amilli

Return to Just Had It