Lifespan of Refresh Plus Vial?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Lifespan of Refresh Plus Vial?

Postby Ted61 » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:51 pm

Having had wavefront LASIK a little over 5 weeks ago and being 61 years young, I am going through vials of eyedrops quite quickly. Although I believe my vision is improving, I am still having problems driving at night due to halos and glowing from oncoming traffic along with dry eyes. Is it acceptable to keep a vial of Refresh even after opening since I normally only use one drop in each eye every hour or so to maintain comfort or is it dangerous to do so since the liquid is free of preservative? Thanks for a great resource - I wish I had known about this forum before my LASIK.
Ted61

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:42 am

This is really a great question and I have not yet been able to find a definitive answer. I will be meeting with preservative-free eye drop manufacturers at a medical convention in a few weeks. I'll try to get the answer.

As an unscientific guideline I suppose you could consider the fastest a natural product (fruit, milk, etc.) spoils and use your opened vial in less time than that.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby amilli » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:49 pm

My doctor's office said that I could keep the opened vial covered and use for ~ 4 hours as long as I was careful to avoid touching the tip to my eye or other surfaces and kept it clean and covered. After about 4 hours or if the color of the drop changes (e.g. clear drop gets cloudy), I should toss. Based on how frequently I use them, I pretty much use the whole container within that 4 hour time period and I've been doing that since the day after surgery (I'm 5 weeks now) with no issue. Hope that helps.
amilli

Postby Ted61 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:14 pm

Well, my eyes should have fallen out by now as I don't worry too much about the shelf life of the opened vials even though I probably should. That's why I posted the original question. Another note, I purchased a box of WalMart "equivalent" brand of Refresh plus and they are made in such a way that they cannot be used more than one time. There's no resealable lid - to me, if there's a lid, it might as well be used. Hmmm - now I'm thinking that perhaps I should be more careful about reusing opened vials. Hopefully, we'll get a better answer from a manufacturer's representative.
Ted61

Postby yawny » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:41 am

My eye doctor said that these can be used or 24 hours, before you throw them out, but I have used them longer with no problem. Just be sure you don't touch the tip to anything and recap them well after use.
yawny

Return to Just Had It