Monovision-Still can't focus

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Monovision-Still can't focus

Postby still can't focus » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:34 pm

Hi,
I had monovision lasik on my dominant eye 5 weeks ago. I have not noticed a change in focusing since the first week. I still have trouble reading and get a double vision. I also have some trouble with the distance as well. Floaters are also a problem. I am not a good candidate for contacts due to eye allergies, so I did not try that first. However, I never wore my glasses at home unless I was watching tv. I have considered having the second eye corrected but I worry that the floater problem will only worsen. I am 41 and still do not need reading glasses.

I have checked many of the posts and not been able to find how long this might last. Is there a chance that my brain will not learn to focus the eyes together? I know many people with lasik say it can take months to recover. I would like some feedback from people who have had monovision correction.

Thanks for your help,
still can't focus

Postby LasikExpert » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:49 pm

The first thing to do is isolate the cause of your poor vision. Is it floaters or is it monovision? For more details, see our article about Lasik and floaters. We also have an article about Lasik monovision.

Monovision does not restore your vision to what it was when you were in your 20s. Monovision is a compromise workaround. Vision at distance and vision at near is seldom excellent with monovision, but is acceptably good for about 2/3rd of people who try monovision. Those with monovision often need full distance correction glasses for those tasks that require the best distance vision quality and depth perception, and reading glasses for reading more than a few minutes.

You need a manifest refraction (which is better, one or two?) to determine your current refractive error in each eye. It may be that the amount of undercorrection in your nondominant eye is too great to provide comfortable vision quality.

You need to discuss if enhancement surgery is appropriate to remove the deliberate refractive error in the nondominant eye if the final decision is that monovision does not work for you.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It