No progress

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

No progress

Postby JPD » Tue May 01, 2007 4:31 am

Glenn,

I'm quickly approaching the three month mark and I'm experiencing most all of the "usual" problems. What concerns me is that I've experienced exactly ZERO improvement since day one. I'm not exagerating one bit, in all aspects my eyes are just like they were day 4 or 5. What are the chances my eyes just happen to heal extremely slow, or the chance they aren't healing at all? I'll admit I'm still confident most of the problems will resolve over time(even though I'm getting very sick of waiting). However, one problem in particular is my greatest concern and I really feel there may be no resolution, and that problem is of course concerning night vision. I have one question for you, Glenn. For someone such as myself, i.e. low correction, zero astigmatism, and absolute perfect night vision previous to surgery, what percentage of people falling into this catagory have Lasik induced Halos and Starbursts for the rest of there life? And when I say that I mean pretty severe and with no improvement over time.

My doctor and his staff have been of very little help up to this point, in my opinion. I'm about one more check up away from demanding a second opinion. It seems they all expect every patient to have the ideal perfect outcome, and for those of us that don't, they act as if somehow it's my fault(as in not properly following there post op instructions). All I know is at this point, this surgery has been by a long shot the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. And if I don't experience some serious improvements I don't know how I'm going to manage the rest of my life this way.

Thanks Glenn.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 01, 2007 3:24 pm

In previous posts you had mentioned there were moments of excellent vision. If this continues to occur, then healing issues are likely the reason for the delayed recovery.

It is time for a second opinon for two reasons: One is that it has been three months with little change. The other is that you are obviously losing faith in your current doctor. A second opinion will affirm that they have you on the right path, or will put you in front of someone who can hopefully aim you in the right direction.

About 3% of refractive surgery patients (all patients, all procedures) have an unresolved complication at six months postop with about 0.50% being serious complications that require either extensive maintenance or invasive correction.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Tue May 01, 2007 9:16 pm

LasikExpert wrote:In previous posts you had mentioned there were moments of excellent vision.

Yes, in terms of visual acuity. But never in terms of night vision.

LasikExpert wrote:It is time for a second opinon for two reasons: One is that it has been three months with little change.

I agree completely, however my doctors office doesn't seem to think it's out of the ordinary. Either that or they just don't care.

LasikExpert wrote:The other is that you are obviously losing faith in your current doctor.

Yes, most definately.

LasikExpert wrote:A second opinion will affirm that they have you on the right path, or will put you in front of someone who can hopefully aim you in the right direction.

That is definately what I want at this point, if I can ever get back to my doctor for an appointment. They seem to be jerking me around regarding appointments. That's a whole different story though.

LasikExpert wrote:About 3% of refractive surgery patients (all patients, all procedures) have an unresolved complication at six months postop with about 0.50% being serious complications that require either extensive maintenance or invasive correction.

Okay, well that makes the odds seem pretty low, but I guess if I happen to fall into that 3% then it makes it 100% complication rate for me. All I can say is finding a highly regarded doctor who's very experienced hasn't worked out to well for me up to this point.

Thanks Glenn, and I'll keep you updated on anything new which happens. I will probably be posting it in the "Had it awhile ago" forum though.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Tue May 01, 2007 9:40 pm

JPD wrote:All I can say is finding a highly regarded doctor who's very experienced hasn't worked out to well for me up to this point.

Deciding to have Lasik is very much about odds and never about perfection. If you pick a competent surgeon the odds of getting a good outcome are more in your favor, but there is no such thing as a perfect surgeon or perfect surgery. There is always risk no matter how small and as you stated, the odds don't mean so much when you are one of the minority.

There are many cases of people having similar problems that resolve after three months, even after six months. Hopefully you will be one of those.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Sat May 05, 2007 5:26 pm

LasikExpert wrote:Deciding to have Lasik is very much about odds and never about perfection. If you pick a competent surgeon the odds of getting a good outcome are more in your favor, but there is no such thing as a perfect surgeon or perfect surgery. There is always risk no matter how small and as you stated, the odds don't mean so much when you are one of the minority.

Glenn, you make it sound like the odds of a good outcome are only about 50/50. I know that's not what you mean at all, but from the way that reads it sounds like even with a good doctor there's still a very high probability of a bad outcome.

LasikExpert wrote:About 3% of refractive surgery patients (all patients, all procedures) have an unresolved complication at six months postop with about 0.50% being serious complications that require either extensive maintenance or invasive correction.

Glenn, how is a "unresolved complication" defined? Because what constitutes a "complication" could be a matter of opinion.
JPD

Postby LasikExpert » Sun May 06, 2007 6:28 pm

Both of the issues you raise are a matter of opinion. The first is the opinion of what constitutes a good outcome. The second is the opinion of what constitutes a complication. In both cases, we consider the patient's opinion to be most accurate.

Success and complication is a dynamic target that can vary from person to person. Some things are obvious, others are subjective. An example would be dry eye. One patient may be more than willing to use artificial tears three times a day and not require glasses. Another patient may find this an intolerable inconvenience.

Subjective opinion is why patient selection is so very important. Candidacy for Lasik is not just about the physiology of the eye, but is also about patient expectations and if those expectations can be reasonably met.

Our organization's Quality Standards Advisory Committee (QSAC) recently evaluated multiple studies and direct patient outcoms from all refractive surgery techniques (Lasik, All-Laser Lasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, P-IOL) and all patients (myopia, hyperopia, astigmatism) and published what we consider to be the national norms. See them at Lasik Results.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JPD » Sun May 06, 2007 7:44 pm

LasikExpert wrote: See them at Lasik Results.

It's definately a matter of opinion. Your groups criteria defines night vision "complications" as having to be debilitating. Debilitating or not, my difinition would be ANY adverse effects that are induced by the surgery. Things such as visual acuity don't fall into this catagory and are debatable, because one's visual acutity was bad to start with, so nobody could expect a perfect outcome there. But I feel that if a certain aspect of a patients vision is perfect before surgery, and then is ruined by the surgery(regardless of to what degree) then that is definately a "complication". No if's, and's, or but's about it.

Just as update. I have an appointment with my doctor on May 18th to have my eyes checked again. I will get his full evaluation and listen to his recommendations. While I'm there I will also get a reference for a second opinion, and get a copy of my medical record so the second doctor can review it before his examines me. After these appointments I'll keep you posted on my progress and whatever else is going on.

Thanks for all your help.
JPD

Return to Just Had It