Enhancement questions

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Enhancement questions

Postby Virginia » Thu May 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Glenn, I had enhancement 2 days ago. When I was rechecked yesterday, my right eye was 20/40 and left eye was 20/20. Collectively, I am seeing 20/20 minus one. My close up is amazing as I do not need reading glasses for the computer or books. I am 53 and have worn 2.00 bifocals for 10 yrs. When I saw my co-managing doctor yesterday I questioned about the right eye being 20/40 as prior to enhancement it was 20/30. It was over corrected after initial lasik. After first lasik, I needed reading glasses fro computer and everything in the middle vision range. My questions is;does regression occur with enhancement. Will my eyes change at all and in what way? I love not using reading glasses. I have a feeling because of what happens with aging that I will ultimately need readers. How long, who knows. My left eye is crystal clear but the right is a bit blurred when I look directly through it alone. That is the eye I am concerned with. I may have been over corrected back the other way now. Over all, I like my vision with the enhancement better. I guess hearing that 20/40, kind of disappointed me. Your thoughts?
Virginia

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 03, 2007 1:29 pm

What you have now is monovision. There may be no need to be disappointed in your 20/40 vision in one eye.

One of the limitations of the Snellen 20/whatever test is that it only measures acuity, not the cause of the acuity.

Before your enhancement you were apparently hyperopic (farsighted, longsighted). Coupled with your presbyopia (need for bifocals), hyperopia would likely cause vision near and distant to be of poor quality. Your vision could have been 20/40 due to hyperopia.

After enhancement you are apparently myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) in one eye. Nearsighted vision would explain your excellent near vision and ability to read, but your distance vision could be 20/40 due to your myopia.

You have gone from 20/40 hyperopic to 20/40 myopic. The big difference is that presbyopia with hyperopia can make vision at all distances poor, while presbyopia with myopia will make near vision good, but distance vision poor.

Having one eye myopic and one eye emmetropic (no refractive error) is monovision and a common way to work around presbyopia.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It