Both eyes were great...now left eye going backwards

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Both eyes were great...now left eye going backwards

Postby JACQUI » Wed May 16, 2007 7:50 pm

Hi...I had Intralase done on both eyes April 19, 2007 (a month ago tomorrow). Within a week, both of my eyes were 20/15 (from -5.50 left eye; -4.50 right eye; slight astigmatism). Then, this past Sunday, I woke up with a goopy left eye (yellowish in color); used a damp washcloth to clear it out...went to see my regular optometrist Monday at noon. He said my flaps looked great...no wrinkles, no cells, etc. He didn't see any infection, even though my eyeball was hurting, but gave me a sample of TobraDex (Tobramycin 0.3% antibiotic coupled with Dexamethasone 0.1% steroid) drops to use until I see him again on Friday for my one month follow-up visit. The problem is this: since waking up with the goopy eye Sunday morning, I've felt like there is a film over that left eye. He said it was probably from the "infection" but now I'm not so sure that it's a film at all. When I stand, for instance, at my bedroom window and look out at the tree in my front yard (maybe 20 yards away), I can see the leaves on the tree with my right eye (left eye closed), but can only see the outline of the tree itself when looking through my left eye. It's maddening, because either my right eye is so fantastic that it's making me spoiled in regards to my left eye, or I was undercorrected in my left eye, even though they keep saying my left eye is 20/20. (On Monday in the Drs. office, my right eye was still 20/15, but I couldn't read that line with the left; only the 20/20 line). The other weird thing is that when reading, my vision is the same in both eyes (so the theory of a film covering my left eye doesn't come into play then). Are my expectations just too high, even though both eyes were crystal clear at first? I just feel like I'm backsliding in my left eye. What else could be making my left eye blurry?
Thanks,
Jacqui
JACQUI

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 16, 2007 8:00 pm

Whatever caused the goop could be affecting vision quality. You will need more time for healing, but do be sure to notify your surgeon of your experience.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JACQUI » Thu May 17, 2007 12:11 am

Thanks so much for your speedy response. I'm waiting for a call back from the surgeon's office. One more thing that I've been worried about:
at 11 through 15 days post-op my husband and I took a trip to Las Vegas (very dry air, not to mention smoky indoors). One day while there in the shower my eyes got water in them and became really painful (historically, showers have made my eyes dry, not moist -- like I could never take my contacts out right after a shower; they'd be like glued to my eye). I used my Systane drops, etc. the whole time I was there, but now I'm wondering...is it possible that since it was so soon after my surgery that either the cigarette smoke from inside the hotel/casno got under my still-healing flap or that the trauma from the water in my eye could have caused some real damage? (Despite the fact that my Dr. said the flap looks great.) It may sound ridiculous, but I'm just trying to think of everything that could have contributed to my blurred left-eye vision. Do you think this is a quality of vision problem, or an undercorrection problem? Thanks so much --
Jacqui
JACQUI

Postby LasikExpert » Thu May 17, 2007 7:30 am

Your doctor's examination has already determined that your trip to Vegas has not caused a problem with your flap. An evaluation from your doctor after an examination is much better than anything I could offer.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It