Still some backsliding in left eye...

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Still some backsliding in left eye...

Postby JACQUI » Wed May 23, 2007 11:24 pm

I went in to see the surgeon today because my left eye just does not seem to be improving. He said the edema is gone, which is good, but was disappointed to find that my refractive error grew from -.25 only 5 days ago to a -.50 today (despite the swelling having gone down). He reiterated the need for lubricating drops...said to do warm compresses at least 2x/day, and recommended TheraTears Liquid Gel for nightime. He said I have a 50/50 chance of that eye getting worse, getting better, or staying where it is. Not too reassuring. Basically, they don't know how each individual will heal. I wish the pre-op literature would have stated how much of a crapshoot this might be, with everone healing differently and all. He said I could theoretically put a contact lens in that eye to correct for the myopia, but that he doesn't recommend it due to the dry eye. He would rather see me get a lens in my old glasses for the time being -- wait, isn't that why I had LASIK in the first place -- to not need glasses and contacts? Hmmmmm. This is a scary, slippery slope of a process...don't think I'd do it again. $5300.00 later and probably looking at glasses and contacts again in my future.
JACQUI

Postby LasikExpert » Wed May 23, 2007 11:34 pm

You are only about five weeks postop. You are still early in the healing stages.

Being -0.50 you probably are about 20/40 or better uncorrected. This would be good enough vision that you can drive without glasses.

It is probably best to avoid contact lenses since you still have dry eye issues.

Probably at around 3-6 months postop the surgeon will discuss if enhancement surgery would be appropriate. It is something to investigate, but don't jump into it straight away. Being a little myopic (nearsighted) can be advantageous if you are at or near age 40. It delays the need for reading glasses.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby JACQUI » Wed May 23, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm 36 and a half. I've read about the slightly myopic advantages nearing 40. Guess I was just hoping for a few years of darned near perfect. And I know what perfect looks like, since I was there for about 3 weeks. I just don't logically see how my eyes can go from great to worse and then expect them to "heal" to a better prescription. I have a gut feeling that once your eyes worsen, they tend not to come back to "better." (Think of all those years of glasses/contacts and the prescription getting worse and worse...it just makes sense. I keep thinking that dry eyes CAUSED the slip in prescription. I feel like there should be a reason for the slip when it was so good to begin with. Very skeptical about enhancement...if all that ablation didn't work the first time, what makes me think it would work a second?
JACQUI

Postby slee104611 » Mon May 28, 2007 1:30 pm

I can relate - I had my LASIK on December 1, 2006 and my right eye was getting better until one night it suddenly got worse at the 4 month stage. I went to the Dr and at 1st they thought I had an edema and they gave me drops. It did a get a bit better but not nearly as good as my "personal best" My dry eye had cleared up enough so I now wear a contact lens in the right eye. It turns out that they undercorrected by at least 1.5 diopters so I'm due for a correction in 2 weeks. Plus the hospital (not the Dr) wants to charge me an additional $600 equipment fee.

As a non-opthamological surgeon friend of mine said: "those eye Dr.s are smart - they've brainwashed their patients into thinking "do overs" are acceptable. In my field it would be called malpractice." I'm still laughing over that one....
slee104611

Postby LasikExpert » Mon May 28, 2007 4:45 pm

slee104611 wrote:As a non-opthamological surgeon friend of mine said: "those eye Dr.s are smart - they've brainwashed their patients into thinking "do overs" are acceptable. In my field it would be called malpractice." I'm still laughing over that one....

Lasik is more of a six month process than a 20-Minute Miracle. During that process additional surgery may be necessary to "fine tune" the refractive error or resolve a large refractive error after regression. It is common for multiple surgeries to be required in many areas of surgery to get the full or long lasting effect desired. This would include reconstructive cosmetics for trauma victims, skin grafts for burn victims, hip and knee replacements, etc. Multiple surgeries are so common that Medicare has a special code for it.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It