post-lasik eye strain

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

post-lasik eye strain

Postby brady12 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:46 am

I am 34 years old, live in Florida, and had lasik done for distance. Since lasik 2 months ago, I have been experiencing exactly the symptoms that are described on your web page about post-lasik eye strain. When using near vision, such as reading or looking at a keyboard, I have had recurrent dizziness, nausea, headaches and several episodes of vertigo. I am still having these symptoms almost daily. I have tried anti-nausea medication without much success. My questions are:

1)Is there any proactive way to treat this condition or at least the symptoms (outside of giving it more time to heal itself)? These daily symptoms have left me unable to work.

2)Can you recommend anyone I could see about this? I have been to three different ophthamologists, all of whom said they have not heard of this after lasik and could not explain why I am having these symptoms. They could also not offer any treatment.

Thank you very much for any help you can give me
brady12

Postby yawny » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:08 am

Did you have monovision? Sometimes this occurs after monovision, but if so, it should go away after your brain gets it all figured out. I had monovision and had this for a while until I adjusted to it.
yawny

Re: post-lasik eye strain

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:13 am

brady12 wrote:1)Is there any proactive way to treat this condition or at least the symptoms (outside of giving it more time to heal itself)? These daily symptoms have left me unable to work.

When the symptoms start to become severe, close one eye. This can sometimes help if the Lasik eye strain is a convergence issue. You will lose depth perception so don't be doing this while driving and only do it for short periods of time. You should be able to switch eyes left and right.

brady12 wrote:2)Can you recommend anyone I could see about this? I have been to three different ophthamologists, all of whom said they have not heard of this after lasik and could not explain why I am having these symptoms. They could also not offer any treatment.

It is a little surprising for someone who is age 34, but this (obviously) can occur.

It is my personal opinion that optometrists tend to know more about accommodation and convergence issues. If you are outside of Miami then I recommend you ask a local optometrist to check your accommodation and convergence. If you are in the Miami area I can make a recommendation. Please contact me directly at glenn dot hagele at usaeyes dot org.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby brady12 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:31 pm

yawny: No, it wasn't monovision..just lasik for distance in both eyes. I am glad however to hear that eventually it may go away with time.

lasikexpert: Thanks. I will contact you.

One addendum to my story..one of the ophthamologists I saw, said that he thought there was a foreign body (such as a strand from a piece of gauze) under the flap on one eye. As he did not see any associated inflammation, he did not think this would be the cause of my symptoms. Have you heard of a foreign body causing this before?
Thank you again
brady12

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 10, 2007 7:40 pm

I have not heard of a foreign body causing your symptoms.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It