Dry Eye issue

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Dry Eye issue

Postby aspenice » Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:23 am

I went to my doctor and she said I don't have severe dry eye. She said my cornea is healing perfectly and I show no signs of dry eye on my cornea. She did go onto say that it doesn't mean my whites of my eyes are dry. They are. I live in the Sacramento, California area and allergy season is bad here.

I tried Celluvisc and they work really well but I still notice my vision is out of focus far away. My docotor did say it takes 3-6 months for things to really be well. She also said with the dry eye it causes things ot be worse. She said she is also worried about me reading things on the internet and I am making myself scared. I don't think I am. I really went into Lasik blindly (pardon the pun) and I should have done more research on it. There is so much to know and learn. Overall, I am happy that I did it though.

Aspenice
aspenice

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:12 am

We are not here to scare you or to give false hope. We just try to give you the objective facts.

Temporary dry eye after Lasik is rather common. It normally resolves within the first six months after surgery. I too live in Sacramento and know just how bad allergies have been lately. Allergies and allergy medication can exacerbate dry eye symptoms with or without Lasik.

It does take some time for things to settle down after Lasik, but your short-term difficulty will be knowing if your symptoms are from the allergies, allergy medication, or Lasik. This makes it difficult to determine proper dry eye treatment beyond preservative-free artificial tears like the Allergan's Refresh Celluvisc you are using.

Celluvisc is rather thick. That provides longer lasting dry eye relief, but it can also interfere with vision quality. You may want to consider a thinner artificial tear during the day with more frequent application, Celluvisc in the evening, and perhaps a gel lubricant at night. We have a detailed Lasik dry eye treatment article that will give you more information, but you will want to verify with your eye doctor before you make any changes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby aspenice » Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:50 pm

How can Celluvisc interfere with vision quality? Permanent??
I use refresh drops during the day. I only use celluvisc at night. Which drops are best for liquid-gel?
aspenice

Postby LasikExpert » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Temporary vision disruption with the application of a low viscosity artificial tear does not happen with every person and is not permanent.

Celluvisc is relatively thick. When added to the cornea, the thickness of the Celluvisc can temporarily cause poor vision. The vision disruption would only last as long as the Celluvisc remains thick on the cornea.

There are several nighttime gel lubricants with slight variation. Which is best is a matter of personal preference with trial and error. We have a list of the different major brands at the bottom ofArtificial Tears
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby aspenice » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:09 pm

Great! Thanks for your answer and info.

For those of you who use drops which ones do you use and which ones seem to be better for you?
aspenice

dry eye issues

Postby waterhous » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:17 am

As a PhD nutritionist who just had Lasik 2 weeks ago and who is 52 yrs of age and who did have some moderte dry eye issues I can offer the following to help:
Avoid excess alcohol...you know how drinking too much can dry out your mouth and other mucous membranes? Well, what does that tell you about how it can affect your eyes? No more than one drink per day to help keep eyes moist.
Drink a lot of water...sounds simple but really...drink at least 1 cup per hour in the first month following Lasik.
Use Flaxseed oil caps...about 1.5 to 2 mg per day. reasearch does seem to support the use of these to help with dry eye and overall health and healing.
Use the drops...use artificial ears as much as you need to.
waterhous

Re: dry eye issues

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:26 am

waterhous wrote:Use the drops...use artificial ears as much as you need to.

And be sure they are preservative-free artificial tears.
Glenn Hagele
USAEyes

Lasik Info &

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby bathory313 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:26 am

aspenice wrote:Great! Thanks for your answer and info.

For those of you who use drops which ones do you use and which ones seem to be better for you?

I can only say what worked for me, as I am not a doc!

The Refresh lubricant eye drops did nothing for me. They didn't seem to lubricate my eyes well, and it made the edges of my eyelids itch like mad. I talked to my doc about something stronger, and she gave me Refresh PM for night-time use. Great for night, but definitely NOT for day use.

I found relief by switching to Similasan drops for every day/all day use, and Systane drops about 4-5 times a day; they really help. I've upped my fluid intake, and started taking Flax oil capsules and Borage capsules.

More: I got a humidifier for my bedroom, I don't use the fan at night anymore (I dearly miss it) and use sunglasses even when it isn't sunny out. I've found that sunglasses with a large lens helps to block car air-conditioning from my eye, and they also help with keeping a lot of the airflow off of my eyes.

I use the Refresh PM at night, just before bed.

I can tell you that the dry eye is getting much better, and although I am nearly a month post-op, my vision still fluctuates.

All in all, I am terrifically happy with the results!
bathory313

Postby aspenice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:08 am

Thanks for all the info/opinions. I started using Thera tears and they seem good but after a few times my eyes seem to be cludy for a bit and I don't know if this is my eyelashes which have white stuff on them. I tried finding that Sterlid to wash my eyelashes but have been to 4 stores and no one has it. I guess I better just order it online.

Is it okay to switch btw. eye drops (perservative free)?

I have a bad cold now and I am so dry plus I do have more than 1 glass of wine per night. Will lay low on that. Um, does dry eye make healing happen improper? I just can't believe that dry eyes cause such issues.

Where can I get those flax seed oil caps?

Thanks.
aspenice

Postby bathory313 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:07 am

aspenice wrote:Thanks for all the info/opinions. I started using Thera tears and they seem good but after a few times my eyes seem to be cludy for a bit and I don't know if this is my eyelashes which have white stuff on them. I tried finding that Sterlid to wash my eyelashes but have been to 4 stores and no one has it. I guess I better just order it online.

Is it okay to switch btw. eye drops (perservative free)?

I have a bad cold now and I am so dry plus I do have more than 1 glass of wine per night. Will lay low on that. Um, does dry eye make healing happen improper? I just can't believe that dry eyes cause such issues.

Where can I get those flax seed oil caps?

Thanks.

Yup, alcohol dehydrates you.....just as tea and coffee can! Water, water, water is the best way to go! I can tell you that my vision was NOT at all good on my one-week checkup, simply from the dry eye. What's funny is, I didn't even know they were dry. I got my flax oil caps from Walgreens drugstore; I'm sure you could find it at Wal-Mart; possibly KMart.

But please ask your doc before you start taking them, ok? I got lucky in that my eye doc isn't snooty about homeopathic or herbal remedies. I'm taking 2000 mg/day...........some folks take 3000 mg/day. I find that the 3000 mg has an undesirable effect on my, um, intestines, I"ll say. I'm taking Nature's Bounty brand.

I AM NOT A DOCTOR OR HERBALIST.
bathory313

Return to Just Had It