Time between PRK surgeries

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Time between PRK surgeries

Postby BigBri » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:11 am

Hello,
I had PRK on my left eye (adjusted for monovision) last Wednesday. I've made great progress without much difficulty, but I've got PRK on the right eye scheduled for Wednesday. Is there a consensus on what the best amount of time to wait between surgeries? I'm worried that my left eye won't be quite good enough for driving, which would be a problem. Has the group's experience been such that my first eye is likely to be good 12 days after surgery (I'm taking Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday off after Wednesday's surgery).
I'd appreciate any information anyone can offer.
Thanks.
BigBri

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:07 am

Since you have had PRK in the one eye you have a good idea what the visual recovery will be and how much vision clarity you can expect. There is no reason you would be required to have the second PRK before your first has recovered enough that you will have functional vision.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby BigBri » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:57 pm

I probably asked the question poorly. My weak (monovision) eye was worked on first. Are you suggesting I wait to have my second surgery until it's clear, then get a lense to make it 20-20 then schedule the surgery? I understand that most people have their good eye done first. The order of my surgeries seems to have put me in an awkward position. I guess that's why I was kind of looking for an average range of healing.
Thanks.
BigBri

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:06 pm

It seems most prudent to wait until the myopic eye has healed enough that you have good distance vision with corrective lenses and good near vision without lenses. Then have a pair of glasses made that will fully correct the myopic eye for distance vision.

You may be able to use a contact lens in the myopic eye while your distance eye recovers, however you are probably going to want a pair of glasses that fully correct the myopic eye, to use for driving and when you require excellent depth perception.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It