2.5 Days Post Enhancement - No change and very depressed

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

2.5 Days Post Enhancement - No change and very depressed

Postby slee104611 » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:39 pm

I had my enhancement on my right eye done on Friday June 22nd. We were trying to correct .75 astigmatism and .5 nearsightedness. The actual laser time was 3 seconds.

Dr said the flap was doing well - no wrinkles, striae, etc. It's almost 3 days and I cannot detect a single change in my vision - it's not worse but there is NO improvement whatsoever. None, Nada.

My question is would 3 seconds of lasering really be long enough to do anything? Could the eye be swollen and inflamed and cause the blurriness with such a small correction time?

Thank you
slee104611

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:40 pm

Yes, three seconds may be enough. In laser pulse terms, that is a long time. To correct 0.50 dipter of myopia the laser needs to remove about 6 microns of tissue. That is about 1/10 the width of a human hair or just about the same size as a single epithelial cell (outermost layer of corneal cells).

If you had Lasik enhancement surgery then the Lasik flap was lifted. This process alone can cause 6 microns of edema (inflammation). You are talking about such small changes that a half thickness of tear film could make the difference.

I know it is easier said than done, but be patient and let the healing take its course.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby slee104611 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:35 am

Thank you. Your words are reassuring - I should just wait it out. I got a bit nervous because my opthamolgist won't go in a 3rd time so this is it. Thanks again
slee104611

Postby bada5150 » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:53 pm

Hi Slee104611,
I still have astigmatism left on my right eye and I am planning to get enhancement as well. But I am still scared about getting enhancement. I see everything blurry on my right eye due to astigmatism.
Do you see any improvement since then?
Please let me know.

Thank you
bada5150

Postby slee104611 » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:15 pm

My right eye is definitely clearing up and when I put drops in the vision becomes crystal clear giving me a good idea of what I will end up with after the dry eye clears up.

My eye Dr explained to me that since my eye healing was a known quantity and the amount of correction was minor, it is always easier the 2nd time around. However, the amount of dry eye and bluriness is NOT in relation to the amount of LASIK time but the same regardless of whether they zap for 1 minute or 1 second.
That is where I made my mistake and became worried and frustrated when I didn't heal in 2-3 days.

I love my new vision which gets better every day :)
slee104611

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:55 pm

It sounds like you are getting your questions answered and the vision you desired. Congrats!
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Remander » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:43 am

My question is would 3 seconds of lasering really be long enough to do anything?

I had an enhancement that lasted about 5 seconds per eye, and it did the trick for me. I saw some results quickly, but it still took weeks for things to really come around. It really helped, and I am glad I did it.

I posted about my experience at http://www.usaeyes.org/ask-lasik-expert ... .php?t=820

Hang in there, and good luck.
Remander

Postby slee104611 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:57 pm

Thanks Remander, I loved reading your posts.......had a weird feeling of deja-vu because so much of your journey is exactly the same as mine. Thanks for the encouragement and sharing.
slee104611

Return to Just Had It