need reassurance -midrange vision - does it settle?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

need reassurance -midrange vision - does it settle?

Postby Teo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:26 pm

I had an enhancement (Lasik procedure) 11 days ago for myopia and astigmatism - distance vision crystal clear but mid range blurry up to about 5 yards. I now have presbyopia which I expected and need readers for computer, reading and even to prepare and eat a meal.
I'm a bit anxious about the midrange vision - will it settle down and get clearer, or is this as good as it's going to get.??
This happened with first treatment 4 months ago and mid range vision settled - the problem is that the nearvision kept improving until I no longer needed readers, and the distance vision deteriorated to the point if needing enhancement, so I have no way of knowing what's a reasonable expectation .
Teo

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:05 pm

In your unique circumstances, a reasonable expectation is clear vision in a single range; either near, mid, or distant. The gain of one will always be at the loss of another.

In a relaxed state the normal eye is focused for distance (beyond about 20 feet). When we are younger the crystalline lens within the eye is able to change shape and thereby change focus so we can see items closer than about 20 feet.

As we get older the ability of the crystalline lens to change shape is diminished. This is called presbyopia and usually becomes problematic at around age 40. For a normal eye, this is when reading glasses become necessary.

There is no surgery to "cure" presybopia. There are only workarounds like monovision.

Now that you are presbyopic, your eye has a fixed range of focus. If after Lasik you have no refractive error (plano), then your eye is focused for infinity - about 20 feet and beyond - and anything closer will be with less clarity. If you are myopic (nearsighted, shortsighted) your eye is focused for a closer range. If you are mildly myopic, then objects in mid distance will be clear, but distant and very near will not be clear. If you have more myopia, then objects very near will be clear and objects at mid-distance and beyond will be out of focus.

Once you become fully presbyopic, your range of vision clarity will be limited. That is a part of the natural aging process, not a limitation of Lasik.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Teo » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:41 pm

thanks for swift reply!!
heavy sigh...so I guess the improvement in the initial treatment was actually regression? If that's so then I won't mind some relaxation of the crystal distance vision. I was prepared for readers (and was told to expect them by my Doc.) but not a permanent loss of mid-range vision. So what you're saying is that 11 days after procedure this is as good as it'll get and I shouldn't really hope for any more clarity closer than around 20 feet?
Teo

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:47 pm

Eleven days after the procedure really only indicates what vision you have now, not what you will have at the end of the normal six month healing period. Your eyes could be dry, have edema (inflammation), or other issues that are causing a change in your refractive error. What you have now may be the final outcome, but it is much too early to know.

Your assumption is undoubtedly correct that the reason your near and mid distance vision got better after the first Lasik was the same reason that your distance vision got wors - Lasik regression.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It