Vitamin C, does it interfere healing?

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Vitamin C, does it interfere healing?

Postby mmxx » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:12 pm

I've read that taking VC 500mg twice daily may help prevent corneal haze after PRK. However I just read at some place that some doctor tells their patient not to take more than 500mg VC a day as it may cause your eyes to not heal properly (ie heal too fast). I have no idea if that is true or not, but it does make me hesitate taking so much VC everyday after surgery.

Is there any credible information that dismiss or support this (VC tampers healing)?

(My doctor said the use of MMC for 12 secs during surgery greatly reduces the risk of haze and he doesn't think taking VC is a must, although he also said "it can't hurt". but I have not got chance to ask him about this latest finding yet. )
mmxx

Postby LasikExpert » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 pm

An article published in the May-June 2003 issue of the Journal of Refractive Surgery titled Ascorbate prophylaxis for corneal haze after photorefractive keratectomy shows that 500mg of Vitamin C twice a day for one week before PRK and two weeks after surgery, plus the religious use of UVA-UVB blocking sunglasses, reduced the incidence of corneal haze.

Mitomycin C virtually eliminates the incidence of cornel haze, however Mitomycin C is very strong medicine that should probably be avoided if possible, but is appropriate when required.

Both Vitamin C and Mitomycin C (no relation) reduce corneal haze by changing the wound response. Mitomycin C changes the response dramatically and for a long term, whereas vitamin C is more benign.

When Mitomycin C is used the laser must be "offset" by about 10% or it will remove too much tissue with each pulse. This offset is not required with Vitamin C.

As for what to do, you need to find a competent doctor and rely on that doctor's advice after discussing your concerns and the treatment plan.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Return to Just Had It