Eyelash problem

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

Eyelash problem

Postby bathory313 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:36 am

Ok, so 5 days post-LASIK surgery.......my eyelashes are so gunky and gluey from the Prednisone drops and such that I look like Tammy Faye Bakker on a bad-makeup day.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I may safely clean them? I was told to NOT get water into my eyes and NOT rub them. I dampened a cotton swab with the Refresh Plus solution, and dabbed at them gently, this removed some of the gunky junk but not all......is there a better way? I'm concerned it's not sanitary; and I don't want anything affecting the healing of my eyes.

Any ideas, oh those-who-have-already-traveled-the-path?
bathory313

Postby LasikExpert » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:42 am

Tammy Faye, oh dear.

This is where a friend can help. Verify with your doctor if you can gently clean the lid margins with a Q-Tip dipped in a solution of warm water and baby shampoo, but with your eyes closed. That's where the friend comes in.

Have some artificial tears handy to flush out your eyes.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

!

Postby bathory313 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:52 am

Thank you for your quick reply. I have a scheduled exam on Thursday; I will be sure to ask the doctor if it's ok. Thanks for a great idea!
bathory313

Postby bootfetish » Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:33 am

I had this same problem. I really just let them be gunky for a bit. I did find sometimes if I put a lot of drops over the lashes it helped loosen the gunk.
bootfetish

Postby bathory313 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:33 am

bootfetish wrote:I had this same problem. I really just let them be gunky for a bit. I did find sometimes if I put a lot of drops over the lashes it helped loosen the gunk.

I finally got the go-ahead to use a dilute baby-shampoo solution and GENTLE downward swiping motions to clean the area. Ahhhh......relief!
bathory313

Postby DryEye » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:50 pm

Small towel dipped in warm water.
Close your eyes and place over your eyes
Very gently move it around
That should loosen & clean out the lashes
DryEye

Postby dede » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:37 pm

My doctor's instructions were also to use the warm towel. I did this for the first week or so while I was taking the medicated eyedrops.

However after this period I began using a special eyelid cleaner that I found at the store. It consists of pre-moistened towelettes that contains a gentle cleanser. It did a good job of getting the gunk off my eyelashes from the artificial tears that were caking on my eyelashes. I did not use this product while I was taking the medicated drops. I would check with your doctor first to make sure it is o.k. to use this product at your stage of recovery.
dede

Postby DryEye » Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:40 pm

TheraTears also has a product that may help http://www.theratears.com/sterilid.aspx
DryEye

Postby aspenice » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:42 am

Wherecan you get Thera Tears? I useCelluvisc but find it cakes on my eyes and lashes and am thinking of trying Thera tears? Which one(s) are preservative free and help with moderate dry eyes. I am going to use that Sterlid for cleansing my eyes. Thanks.
aspenice

Postby DryEye » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:16 pm

Target or WalMart.
The website has a $1 off coupons you can print out.
Click on the site map on their website www.theratears.com
I have been using them (the preservative free tears) for close to a year.
DryEye

Postby aspenice » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:12 am

I went to target, walmart, walgreens and rite aid and none of them had Sterlid. ant it so bad. I looked in the ey drop section. Is it somewhere else? Maybe I should just order it online?
aspenice

Postby DryEye » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:47 pm

It does seem to be a tough one to get.
I found it at a Walmart, but not all of them have it on stock
Email TheraTears or check their site.
Also, call some of the Walmarts in your area - One of them has to have it in stock.
ThereaTears also has a $1 off coupon you can print out at their website - Look at their site map for the link
I think it will help you - well worth the effort
I use it from time to time in the mornings
DryEye

Postby Borderline » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:24 pm

My doctors office gace me a product to help with this. It is called OCuSOFT Eye Wash. It is a sterile isotonic buffered solution. They also gave me a pack of guaze sponges to use with it, in a gentle downward movement. I'm not sure if you can purchase this online or not, but it does work great.
Borderline

Postby dede » Sat Jul 28, 2007 5:32 pm

I also used OcuSoft. The product also comes in individually packed, premoistened towelettes that you can carry in your purse with you.

It really gets the gunk out. I found the pre-moistened towelette version at CVS.
dede

Return to Just Had It