2 weeks today and question about one eye

Research your concerns in this forum or post your questions if you have had Lasik, IntraLasik, PRK, LASEK, Epi-Lasik, RLE, or P-IOL within the past three months.

2 weeks today and question about one eye

Postby Fran » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:35 pm

Sorry for the long subject heading!

Hi,

I`m 36 and I`m 2 weeks post LASIK today. Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and opened my eyes for some reason (kids making noises?) When I opened my right eye, it must of been very dry and I felt a slight pulling on the lens from the dryness. It irritated the eye and I still feel some discomfort; no pain, just a "feeling" that something was dragged on the lens. Could I have damaged my eye and eyesight from this? I`m really afraid that I pulled something off my eye. It was like my eyelid was stuck to my eye. Hard to explain. I had the procedure done out of town (5 hours away) and my optometrist is gone away on holiday. Should I be concerned?

Also, while I`m here :D , when I went for my one week check up, all was well but I still had some astigmatism in my right eye that my Dr. said may or may not go away; too early to tell. What are the odds it gets better from the healing?

Other than that, I feel great, not too much dryness at all, just a constant need to protect my eyes. It`s a really weird feeling not having glasses and I`m constantly conscious of the fact that I had something done to them, thus giving me the illusion that something is not quite right. I`m sure in time I`ll learn to relax and enjoy this new found freedom. :wink:

Thanks very much and I`m really glad I found this site. Very informative.

Oh, and one more thing (sorry) Is it o.k. to continue the antibiotic drops past the initial week? Dr. said to stop after the first week but I still feel the need to put them in.

Thanks again and take care. :D
Fran

Re: 2 weeks today and question about one eye

Postby LasikExpert » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:13 pm

Fran wrote:When I opened my right eye, it must of been very dry and I felt a slight pulling on the lens from the dryness.

Lasik induced temporary dry eye is a relatively common problem. Fortunately it tends to resolve in the normal six month healing period. What you experienced is undoubtedly related to dry eye issues.

If you had dislodged your Lasik flap you would likely know as you would have experienced significant pain and/or vision degradation. From what you describe it seems more likely that you disturbed the epithelium, which is the outermost layer of cells on the cornea. These are the fastest reproducing cells in the human body.

The use of a nightime lubricating gel is often recommended in situations like yours. These are available over-the-counter. You can visit our article on Lasik dry eye treatement and at the bottom is a list of all major artificial tears, gels, and their contents. It is normally best to use eye lubricants that are preservative-free.

You will want to report this to your optometrist and/or surgeon, whichever's office you can reach. Seek their advice.

Fran wrote:Also, while I`m here :D , when I went for my one week check up, all was well but I still had some astigmatism in my right eye that my Dr. said may or may not go away; too early to tell. What are the odds it gets better from the healing?

It's difficult to predict. This early in the healing process you could easily have some corneal edema (inflammation) and dry eyes can cause or exacerbate astigmatism.

Fran wrote:Thanks very much and I`m really glad I found this site. Very informative.

I'm glad we are of service.

Fran wrote:Oh, and one more thing (sorry) Is it o.k. to continue the antibiotic drops past the initial week? Dr. said to stop after the first week but I still feel the need to put them in.

Do exactly what your doctor says until your doctor says otherwise.
Glenn Hagele
Volunteer Executive Director
USAEyes

Lasik Info &
Lasik Doctor Certification

I am not a doctor.
LasikExpert
Site Admin

Postby Fran » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:10 pm

Thank you for the prompt response!

I`m such a worrywart and this whole recovery period will probably put me in the loony bin! But I would definitely do it again. :D

Thanks again for you help.
Fran

Return to Just Had It